Author Topic: Rochdale S.C.  (Read 940 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Rochdale S.C.
« on: Monday 20 June 11 10:21 BST (UK) »
ROCHDALE S.C.
Among my mother's possessions I have found a small metal shield about one and a half inches long and about the same width at the widest part.  It bears the inscription "ROCHDALE S.C." in black on a white background.  It is slightly convex with two small holes at the top corners and one at the bottom, which makes me think it was screwed to some kind of a stick or pole.

Now it could have some connection with the Rochdale Swimming Club, which was founded in the late 1800s, but I don't think so.  My grandfather was a Special Constable in the County Borough of Rochdale Police Force during the First World War.  We have his presentation truncheon, a splendid affair with the borough's coat of arms transfer printed onto it and a narrow silver band round the handle bearing his name, also his lapel badge and whistle.  I can only think that this little shield is connected with his service in the police, but can't imagine what its function was.   

Has anyone any suggestions?

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Mikemagni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rochdale S.C.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 11 11:26 BST (UK) »
Could it be connected to the Rochdale Sailing Club, Hollingworth lake, used to be near to the present Sea Cadets hut. Now its on the opposite side of the lake. I understand they also used a farm close bye but cant remember the name of it.
Just a thought.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 10:05 BST (UK) »
It's a thought, but I don't think grandfather came from a sailing family.  Of course, I'm can't be certain that the shield belonged to him, but it was with other memorabilia from his small family.

I have emailed Touchstones in Rochdale to see if they can solve the mystery, so will post their reply when it comes. 

Gillg

I do remember going out in a rowing boat on Hollingworth Lake in a group of youngsters.  Health & Safety would have had a fit - no life jackets then!

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Mikemagni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,
If you are looking for information on police service try the following name and email.

The contact is Christine and she is responsible for the police archives. We were searching for information about a relative in Rochdale and she was very helpful. She will need as much information as possible to carry out a search of the records.

Christine Wilde

police.museum@gmp.police.uk

I note on your post that you record  "Hurst" are you researching that family, I am looking for Hurst's in Rochdale and Wigan as part of our family history.

Regards

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
The ever-helpful Touchstones have emailed me to say that the S.C. does indeed stand for Special Constable and that according to their database they also have a similar shield in their collection, so they are following this up with their museum section to find out more about it.  They tell me that they have a wonderfully named book called "Cuffs and Handcuffs", a history of the Rochdale Police Force, and offer to search for my grandfather's name in it. Aren't they great?

I have been in contact with the Manchester Police Museum before, but unfortunately they could find no record of my grandfather, whose name, by the way was George Thomas Hurst 1863-1922.  His father was John 1834-1907, grandfather Thomas 1803-1862 and gt-grandfather James c1775. That's as far back as I can get, and they were always in the Milnrow/Rochdale district.  Any connection to yours?

Gillg

Offline Mikemagni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Fascinating, hope thy can solve your query.
The Hurst's I am looking for originated in Wigan, but moved to Rochdale and Smallbridge, Littlebrough areas around 1918 and before 1940.

I don't think there will be a connection there, but you never know.

Rgds