Author Topic: Channelkirk - Charles SMAILL birth abt 1809  (Read 3201 times)

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Channelkirk - Charles SMAILL birth abt 1809
« on: Monday 20 June 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for the birth or baptism record for Charles SMAILL, born abt 1809 in Channelkirk, Berwickshire according to the 1851 census

IGI has a baptism record for Edrom but that seems too far away for that to be probable

Thanks

Robyn

Offline franh1946

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Channelkirk - Charles SMAILL birth abt 1809
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 11 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi enzfan, I have Smails at Edrom, Margaret born 1813 father William, mother Isabel Cochran; do you know Charles' parents' names? I was thinking that if either or both his parentts were from the Edrom area, they could well have returned home for his christening
Leadbetter North Meols
Tyrrell  and Shettle Hampshire
Cope Wolstanton
Rice New York and Sydney
Pidgeon County Wexford
Smail and Cochran Berwickshire
Worling and Harrop Cambridgeshire
Happ Eltville
Harrop and Shettle Suffolk

Offline franh1946

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 11 00:30 BST (UK) »
Oops :-[ I just went back and checked the entries, after an absence of a couple of years, to see that some more children had been added to those of Isabel and William, among them, your Charles. I don't have a copy of his baptismal record, I just paid for that of the sibling in my direct line. William was a "hind" or ag lab. and they did move around a bit. Later sibs were born at Greenlaw.
Leadbetter North Meols
Cope Wolstanton
Rice New York and Sydney
Pidgeon County Wexford
Happ Eltville

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 11 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your comments

According to the new FamilySearch site Charles Smaill was born on 6 October 1809 and christened in Edrom on the 17th October 1809 - parents William Smaill and Isabel Cochrane. The 1851 census definitely gives Channelkirk as his birth place. There are Smeals born in Channelkirk a the same time although no Charles Smeal has come up - parents William Smeal and Christian Moffat.

Charles died in NZ before a death record was required to show the parents so it is difficult to confirm but a death notice relating to him printed in the newspaper regarding those who had come to NZ on the Strathallan in 1857 had his birth as 20 October 1809 - very very close to that of the Edrom Charles Smaill

Whoever his father is I believe that his father is the brother of my ancestor, Andrew Smaill (Smeal when he married in 1812). Several others who are researching the same family have Charles as a son of Andrew but I am convinced that he is not. Andrew resided in, married and had his children in Edinburgh.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Get Charles sorted and I just might get further back with my research

Regards
Robyn  :)

Offline franh1946

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
So it appears that Andrew and William are possibly brothers? That's useful to know. I haven't been working in this branch of the tree for 2 or 3 years, but I've just re-registered with Scotland's People in order to attack them again.  I'll certainly keep you updated with anything I find. Have you sighted the Strathallan's passenger list? They sometimes list the passenger's parents, and whether and where they are living. Good luck.
Leadbetter North Meols
Cope Wolstanton
Rice New York and Sydney
Pidgeon County Wexford
Happ Eltville

Offline franh1946

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 July 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
Another Postscript! I just looked at the passenger list (typewritten) and note that two of Charles's children are Isobel and William, a dead giveaway in my opinion!
Leadbetter North Meols
Cope Wolstanton
Rice New York and Sydney
Pidgeon County Wexford
Happ Eltville

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 July 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

What is your interest in this family?

I have done quite a bit of work on my Smaill line lately - William Smaill, son of Andrew Smaill and Frances Redman and brother of the Andrew Smaill who came to NZ on the Strathallan.

Robyn

Offline franh1946

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 July 11 01:20 BST (UK) »
Mary Margaret Smail Stewart (gmother),came to Australia as an infant,in 1882. Her mother was Eliza Wylie Thomson, father James Ramsey Stewart. Eliza's mother was Margaret , child of Isabel Cochran and William Smail, her father was William Thomson. I was helped in my initial research by the fact that the Stewart family used the names Smail, Thomson , Ramsey and Stewart as given names for their children and grandchildren.
Leadbetter North Meols
Cope Wolstanton
Rice New York and Sydney
Pidgeon County Wexford
Happ Eltville

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Try this link

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~archibald/pioneer.htm

It is an account of the Smaills who came to NZ in 1858/9 - mostly Andrew's family but a bit about Charles, whose wife was also Isabella which further complicates matters.

In this text it refers to the two families of Smaill as Red Smaills (Charles' family) and Black Smaills (Andrew's family) and says that they were cousins. But I don't think the children were cousins, I feel that the two adult men were the true cousins. Anyway that is what is shaping my view at the moment.

One other researcher has Charles' parents as your William and Isabel. He has yet to get back to me with the evidence as I think someone else in the family did the research

How did you get George Smaill and Janet Henderson as William's parents? Do you know if they had a son, Andrew as well?

Regards
Robyn