Author Topic: WESTACOTT family - Barnstaple area  (Read 18702 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: WESTACOTT family - Barnstaple area
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 October 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
Susan and Henry were married in 1850 in the Barnstable district
In 1841 HO107/245 / 6  fo 4 p2 harriet and Susan are with William WESCOTT born between 1791 and 1796 ans Susanna the same age with what looks like 7 children( no relationships are given in 1841 William was a farmer and the adress looks like Lower Hole/  in 1851 Henry Watts was a flour Agent so probably met the Wescotts at a mill  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 October 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
In 1851 William is said to be born 1798 North Molton and Susanna 1795 Landkey
There is a baptism on the Family Search site for a William 7 June 1799 North Molton to William and Mary

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 October 12 10:58 BST (UK) »
A tree on An..ry has William marrying a Susanna GAMMON 6 Apr 1818 in High Bray it may be worth contacting the owner Take care several trees on that site have Susan 1827 married to a Robert Broad but censuses show that Susan was born in Topsham! but the Gammon family tree looks better researched but only shows one child for William and Susanna

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline nattytigermoth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 October 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
Excellent! Thank you for your reply.

Harriet and Susan Westcott's parents are listed on the paper copy of the family tree i have, as William Westcott (1795-1864) and Susannah ? (1794-1886). They were married in 1818. From what research i've done, Susannah's maiden name may be 'Gammon'.

Jane's father is listed as 'unknown' on her marriage certificate in 1870 and given that her mother had passed when she was five years old, I'm looking through some passenger lists to see if she came to Victoria with her Aunt Susan Westcott (Watts) and Henry Watts around 1860, as per an earlier post in this thread by another member researching the Westcott/Watts names. 

Dew (Somerset)
Spicer (London)
Curnow (Cornwall)
Beckham (Norfolk)
Johns (Cornwall)
Westcott (Devon)
Rhook/Rooke (Derbyshire)
Redgate (Derbyshire)
Newton (Northamptonshire)
Coustley (Scotland)
Diwell (Kent)
Jelly (Ireland)
McDonald (Scotland)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 October 12 13:38 BST (UK) »
Happy hunting You have found the most friendly site now and we offer you a huge welcome :)
Just give a shout if you need help with your research and someone will try to answer

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Sjwest14

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My Great x? Grandad was William Westacott, boat builder of Barnstaple Devon. He had his own boat builder company known as Westacott & Sons Ltd which is detailed on plaques at the dry docks in Barnstaple

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat and thank you for that interesting extra info mation Let us know if you want help with your tree
 :) trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline MaidinOman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 August 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
have been reading this chat re Westacott in Barnstaple, Devon and wondering where my Westacott's fit in as there seem to be many different branches in the region. The Westacott's I am investigating emigrated to Australia in, I think, 1855. They ended up in Geelong, Victoria. John was a butcher and I believe his father, another John Westacott was also a butcher, m. to an Elizabeth (possibly Coats); resident in Tawton, Devon in 1814. (They had 4 children i believe - my John, Jane, b. 1813, William b. 1816 and Sally b. 1823)

John Westacott who emigrated is as follows:

John Westacott, b. 1.1.1807 in Pilton, Devon d. 17.12.1883 at Mercer St., Geelong, Victoria, Australia
His wife, Ann Maria nee Apps, b. 17.2.1811 in Sussex, UK; m. John 15.7.1830 at St Nicholas, Brighton, Sussex; d. 4.10.1884 at Mercer St., Geelong, Victoria, Australia.

John and Ann's (known as Maria) children:

Elizabeth Apps Westacott (1831-1831)
Ann Maria (or Mary Ann) Westacott (1832-1832)
Mary Jane Westacott (1834-1915) m. Charles Snell Ridd on 28.12.1853, emig. to Melbourne in 1855
Harriet Westacott (b. 1836-?) m. Abel Hoyle
Elizabeth Apps Westacott (1839-1841)
Sarah Beck Westacott (b. 1841-?) m. George B. Saunders in 1859 in Victoria; emig. to NZ
John Bayley Westacott (1845-1919) m. Mary Ann Carey in 1867 at Colac, Victoria, Australia, Methodist Free Church minister, 6 children
Thomas Westacott (1848-1922); m three times (1) Anastasia Maria Martin in 1868 in Geelong - 2 children; (2) Mary Ann Price in 1879 in Invercargill, NZ - 3 children; (3) Joan Shepherd after 1882 - 3 children
Eliza Ann Westacott (b. 1850 - ?) m. Edward William Parsons in 1874 in Victoria

I would love to clarify John Westacott's (1807-1883) parentage and siblings.  Also, trying to trace his movements so have him and wife at Vickerage Lane, Barnstaple in February, 1932 when daughter Ann Maria is christened; at Balches, Newton Tracey on 4.5.1848 as a tenant farmer; at Smymington, Tawstock, Devlon in 1851 Census; at Lower Smemington, Devon in 1854 as tenant of a farm which is advertised to let. Can anyone help?
thankyou
Jane
Brisbane
Australia

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 August 14 09:24 BST (UK) »
Interesting question Jane I've had a quick look and so far haven't come up with anything before that 1851 census There is a farmer John in 1841 with a possible mother Elizabeth on the 1841 census but that is odd as there is no sign of Ann and the earlier children. I wonder if they have been mis transcribed they must be somewherein 1841. Try asking for help to find the family on 1841 on the census board here. I will try to have a better look soon for you but we are just leaving for our annual holiday so I won't be able to for a couple of weeks
I hope someone else will take up the challenge to find your johnbefore I get back
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk