Author Topic: Dallow  (Read 5749 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Dallow
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
I forgot to ask the obvious.
Do you have Thomas/Bessies Marriage Cert?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 17:31 BST (UK) »
Does your Mary Ann Dallow marry Frederick WEllington on 30 Jun 1878 at Fownhope?  If so, perhaps it would beworth getting her marriage cert to see what she puts for her fathers name.

Yes, and your idea of getting her birth certificate could provide a lead.

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
Also, looking at the 1881 census, I suspect that THomas' mother was actually called Mary Ann so could come up on documents as Mary, Mary Ann, Ann etc

I had previously noticed that she was called Mary Ann in the 1881 census, which so far is the only instance I've run across where she isn't just called Ann. I have a Mary Ann in another branch of my family, and it's an irritating name from a genealogical POV, because it seems that, at least in the 19th century, it was often used in all three forms at different times for the same person.

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
Christening Familysearch Pilot;
John Charles JONES, 10 Aug 1845, Fownhope With Fawleye, Hereford
Parents JOSEPH Jones and ANN
+
WILLIAM Jones 05 Sept 1847, same Parents

Now in 1871 Census William is down as Jones and Anns Son.
FreeBMD also has several possible Mary Ann Jones born c 1856 reg Hereford

More questions than answers sorry :P

I think there's a good chance these are the right people. Last night, after pondering having received a birth certificate for the wrong person, I got to reviewing what I had on the Dallow line. I looked again at the fact there was a William Jones listed as a son in the 1871 census. When I first saw that, back when I was beginning this, I thought of the possibility of a previous marriage for Ann Dallow to someone named Jones. With my  approach then being at the novice level, I quickly became hopelessly swamped by the sheer number of Jones hits no matter how or what I tried to search, so sort of gave up and put the "Jones" factor on the back burner, only occasionally thinking about this son, William Jones, in the 1871 census.

But then, last night, I decided to search for the oldest brother, Charles, not present in the family, under Jones, and straight away turned up a potential match in the 1881 census:

RG11 Piece 2593 Folio 91 Page 24

JONES, Charles  Boarder  Married  M 35 1846 Laborer - Born in Fownhope 

Living with MORGAN family at 29 Maylord St. Hereford St. Peter

I put great stock in the Fownhope birthplace, because it's so small.

And there's also a Charles Jones in the 1871 census, very close to the rest of the family:

Piece: RG10/2692 Place: Fownhope -Herefordshire Enumeration District: 1
Civil Parish: Fownhope Ecclesiastical Parish: Fownhope
Folio: 7 Page: 8 Schedule: 40
Address: Fiddlers Green

JONES, Charles    Lodger    M    M    27    Labourer     Herefordshire - Fownhope

Interesting that, though the birth certificate I received contained no information other than the negative fact that it wasn't the right one, it spurred me to look at the Jones factor again, but in a different way.

Thanks very much for this information, which I did not have, about the two christenings.

Now, I have to look into the matter of the union of Joseph Jones and Ann, including when Joseph died, and when the husband named Dallow arrived on the scene.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 18:13 BST (UK) »
I am pleased that things seem to be falling into place.  Sometimes I think you do have to metaphorically throw things up into the air and see if the pieces rearrange themselves in another way!

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
I forgot to ask the obvious.
Do you have Thomas/Bessies Marriage Cert?

No, I don't have that. The first certificate of any kind that I have ordered was the birth certificate which didn't match. My plan is to see how far I get with the new information in hand, then choose several certificates from among those I can order with a view to those which will yield the best leads.

As it turns out, I should have ordered this one instead of the one I did!

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
On the IGI, there is a submitted record for a marriage between Joseph Jones and Ann Brown on 11 Dec 1843 at Fownhope.  The Submitter has also stated that the groom was 30, and his parents were Francis and Esther Jones.

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 August 11 16:28 BST (UK) »
Dallow seems to be an obscure name with very few researching it, or at least that's my impression.

Hello

Yes 532 recorded in the 1911 census! Could even be DALLOE....

I am researching the name from the Salop area <...but will have a look at this thread!

There is/was a DALLOW who was trying to collate the various famillies, I will pm you his e mail...hopefully he is still on it

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 18:15 BST (UK) »
I have been travelling in Europe, so haven't been doing much of this research, but got back a few weeks ago and ordered the marriage certificate for my G grandparents, Thomas Dalley and Bessie Westacott on 29 May, 1878. I now have a bit of extra information: His father is given as Thomas Dalley, deceased, labourer. So this rules out the Joseph Dallow possibility, and possibly the whole Dallow connection. I will now be taking a second look at all the likely records of Thomas Dalley I can find, for both people.