Author Topic: What do you remember- seems impossible now  (Read 91841 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What do you remember- seems impossible now
« Reply #189 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
Me too... except with my little brother... and grandma used to make us sleep in her "long johns".... knee length cotton or nylon, usually red or pink  with lace around the knee!   And we used to have to use the "potty under the bed" as she wouldn't let us use the outside loo (although it was only in the porch thank goodness - but it did have shiny Izal loo paper).

She'd lived in the same house since she married in 1929 and that was where my mother grew up too. Lots of history... her old china dolls all bandaged up with sticky tape after going to the doll's hospital,  an ancient meccano set and a wooden fort!

They'd had a bathroom put in at some point off the kitchen (just bath and sink no toilet) but the only time it was ever used was when we came to visit.  the rest of the time it was used to keep spider plants in and my grandma used to have a stand-up wash at the kitchen sink.

She had an old anderson shelter in the garden which was very exciting too..

Oh - and sneaky Granndma wouldn't let us get out of bed to play until after 9am so she could have a lie in  ;D ;D

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 14:17 BST (UK) »
but it did have shiny Izal loo paper

I remember that too - was in a box a bit like a tissue box so only one sheet at a time came out - what use was that?
If I remember rightly, there was one side that was SLIGHTLY less shiny than the other though!
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
I hated that izal loo paper. My father (who is still alive and age 90) used to insist we had izal - he reckoned the 'new' soft stuff would block the loo and the izal wouldn't  ??? he took years  to convince that the soft paper was safe to use. I have to say even he uses the soft stuff now!! :)
North East of England

Offline Chris_Beds

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 14:59 BST (UK) »
My father, also 90, always refused to use soft loo paper!  There were always two rolls in the bathroom once soft paper became available - one Izal, one soft!

I remember no hot water in the taps, boiling a kettle for washing up and morning ablutions.  There was a "geyser" over the bath which my father would light with ceremony on Sunday evenings :D.  No central heating, we had a fireplace in every room, but we usually only lit the "back room" one where we all lived.  The front room was only used when it was warm enough, never with a fire.  If it was very cold in winter school holidays we occasionally had a fire in the bedroom so we could play there.

When I started work I worked at the Continental Telephone Exchange.  The only places "abroad" that could be dialled were Paris, Amsterdam and Brussels.  All others had to be connected by an operator.  (The number of the Hilton Hotel at Heathrow was Skyport 8000, and Phillips Electrical in Holland was Eindhoven 60000.) Then I moved to Bedfordshire and worked at Rootes in Dunstable, where I used a manual adding machine - like one of those old-fashioned cash registers but then I had to pull a lever down a quarter-circle for it to calculate.  We had no car until 1964, and no TV until 1967.

My Gran lived in a house with no bathroom, just an outside toilet.  And yes it was cold!!

Brown - St. Erme and Grampound (Cornwall), East London, Plumstead Kent
Henwood - Devon/Cornwall, Woolwich Kent
Tilliduff/Tullideph - Aberdeenshire, East London, Plumstead Kent
Bancroft - Castle Donington Leics, Derby, Erith Kent
Reed - Greenhithe, Erith Kent

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 15:18 BST (UK) »
My father, also 90, always refused to use soft loo paper!  There were always two rolls in the bathroom once soft paper became available - one Izal, one soft!

where I used a manual adding machine - like one of those old-fashioned cash registers but then I had to pull a lever down a quarter-circle for it to calculate.  We had no car until 1964, and no TV until 1967.

My father also used Izal - and was still doing so until a few years ago, before he was moved into a care home!

That adding machine would have been a comptometer?
One of my fisrt jobs, in 1970's, was at a Comptometer Bureau!

Dad rode a motor scooter (reg. JAM911E!) so our first car was a Reliant Regal 3-wheeler, which he could drive on a motorcycle driving licence!

We only got ITV because Dad wanted BBC2 - the previous aerial only received BBC1.
I never did understand the discussions at school about TV programmes!

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Chris_Beds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 15:25 BST (UK) »

That adding machine would have been a comptometer?
One of my fisrt jobs, in 1970's, was at a Comptometer Bureau!

No, I think a comptometer you couldn't put in, say, 300,000, you had to enter multiples of 100,000?  I could enter exactly the figures that I wanted but then had to do a manual one-armed bandit exercise to get it to add.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
The comptometers I saw had about 10 columns of those push-keys, numbered 0-9?
So entering 300000 was fairly straight forwards.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Chris_Beds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
Mine was more like this

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 19:00 BST (UK) »
Late 60s/early 70s -Lying under the bedcovers ( nylon sheets  :o & eiderdown, no new-fangled duvets!)after midnight listening furtively to Radio Caroline on my little portable radio on a 'school night' when I should have been asleep  ;D ;D ;D
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts