Author Topic: KELLY: Ireland to Tidenham, Glos. Eng.  (Read 1048 times)

Offline BlackPearl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
KELLY: Ireland to Tidenham, Glos. Eng.
« on: Friday 29 April 05 20:18 BST (UK) »
My 4x great grandfather was James Kelly.  On the 1851 census of Tidenham in Gloucestershire, England, he shows place of birth as simly Ireland but by the 1881 census it shows as County Mayo, Ireland.  His birth year is about  1806 +/- 2 years.  He married a lady called Hannah (also known as Ann) who was from Tidenham, Gloucestershire, England in about 1825 in Tidenham. 

Any idea's how and when he would have travelled over here from Ireland?

Are there any records that can be looked at to find a birth or baptism for him?

It is possible that he had a sister Called Catherine Kelly who was married to a man by the name of Quinn and shows on the census in Tidenham too.  I have been in touch with a woman who is a descendant of Catherine and neither of us have any ideas on how to go any further back than what we already have for our ancestors in England.

Any ideas or advice appreciated.

Thanks.........Joanne (Lydney, Gloucestershire, England)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mousefan

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KELLY: Ireland to Tidenham, Glos. Eng.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I'd like to find out more too.  I think he was my great great grandfather.  My great-grandfather was John Kelly (born around 1830 in Ireland.  He was married  to Hannah whose maiden name was Deasy and my grandfather was John Kelly, who was bought up by the O'Leary's (I think perhaps Hannah's sister) in Lydney.  He was known as John O'Leary as well as John Kelly. 

I don't know about Ireland but I think they came from Cork.