Author Topic: Help-Kincaid and St. Ninians Churchyard  (Read 6914 times)

Offline aguarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help-Kincaid and St. Ninians Churchyard
« on: Thursday 23 June 11 03:53 BST (UK) »
Greetings!

I am interested in finding more information about my family.  My great aunt did extensive research in the 1980s and early 1990s, tracing The Kincaid family to Stirling.  Earliest records found were of a John Kincaid born about 1675.  He was married to a Helen Duncan.  My family descended from his grandson, John (1732-1817).  He may have moved to London at some point.  My aunt wrote in her records that some of our relatives are buried in St. Ninians Churchyard, but had no other details.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland in August, and would like to learn more before then if at all possible.  Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Amy

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help-Kincaid and St. Ninians Churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Amy,

I had a look at the published pre-1855 Memorial Inscriptions for you for St. Ninians Old Churchyard but there are no Kincaids listed. (This survey was carried out during the 1960's)

This doesn't mean your ancestors aren't buried there - it simply means that if they are, there's no stone marking their grave.

I also checked S. Ninian's New Churchyard, Holy Rude and Erskine Churchyard (both in Stirling) but none of them list any Kincaids.

Sorry!

Anne

Offline Lemon Nelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • The never ending journey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy, I have a Janet Kincaid in my tree, and I don't know as yet who her parents were, I do know there are Kincaids buried in Polmont churchyard, if I can get a free day I can nip up and have a look.  Although Polmont is not Stirling it isn't that far away either.
Tripney, Howes, Lapsley, Davies, Evans, Allan, Green,

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 11 11:52 BST (UK) »
From same publication as previously mentioned.

Polmont Churchyard (4 stones bearing the surname Kincaid)

1. Thomas Kincaid died 21st November 1852 & wife Mary Ann Kincaid died 12th May 1917

2. Elizabeth Kincaid, wife of either James Galbreath or Smith died March 1787

3. Alexander Kincaid died 14th April 1849 & wife Elizabeth Smith died 22nd January 1828
Their children: Janet, Agnes & James (no dates)
Elizabeth Kincaid died 12th September 1849
Jane Kincaid died 3rd September 1890 age 66
Jessie Kincaid (widow of John G. Urquhart) died 27th May 1900 age 76 [J.G. Urquhart died 13th June 1890 age 66]

4. Jean Kincaid (wife of William Walker) did 12th December 1807 age 35 [Wm Walker died 9th September 1809 age 37]

Anne

Offline aguarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the replies and information!  I will see if what you've listed matches anything that other family members may have.  Several of the names are in records I have, but there is no information listed for them.

Amy

Offline aguarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 11 22:50 BST (UK) »
I'm also wondering if I would need to contact anyone beforehand, to make arrangements to visit this churchyard.

Amy

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 June 11 06:42 BST (UK) »
Is it St. Ninians you're thinking of visiting?

If so, the gates are kept locked.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,353327.0.html

The above thread explains all about 'gaining access'.   :)

Polmont is always open and can be accessed either via the Church gates on Kirk Entry/Bo'ness Road or through the cemetery's entrance on Grange Road.

Anne

Offline Lemon Nelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • The never ending journey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 June 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
It might also be an idea to pop in to the archives (week days), they are in Callendar House in Callendar Park, Falkirk they are very helpful in there and hold some burial records which you can search free. they have lots of interesting things.  Also Stirling Archives in Springkerse Stirling, Stirling and Falkirk libraries hold micro fische records which are free to search.
The park the archives sit in are worth a visit in themselves and also the house in which the archives are, it is free to enter and is well worth a look.
Cafe and kiosk in the park plus picnic benches if you want to make a day of it.
Oh and if you are in Falkirk the Falkirk Wheel is another great day out and has the history of the canals.
I promise i am not a Tourist Information officer lol I just like living in Falkirk
Tripney, Howes, Lapsley, Davies, Evans, Allan, Green,

Offline Kia2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 June 11 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi.. was wandering around the web looking for information on my mother's family (Margaret Isabel Kincaid)
and in particular John G. Kincaid of the marine engineering company in Greenock. Came across your posting on this site and wondered if perhaps there is some connection? John G was my great grandfather.. and still trying to piece things back from there!