Author Topic: great homer st lpool  (Read 3763 times)

Offline kenmc51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
great homer st lpool
« on: Thursday 23 June 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
does anyone know of a pub on great homer st called  the clock in the 60s any info would be apreciated (thanks )

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: great homer st lpool
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

You may want to read the following link as the same question has been asked by somebody else on another forum

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-4848.html

This snippet is from the Scottie Press website

http://www.scottiepress.org/gallery/actoarc.htm

Scotland Road was world famous for almost having a pub on every corner. Each of these establishments would be listed with two addresses. One for the entrance on Scotland Road, and one for the entrance in the side street on which the pub stood. There were only six listed as only having an entrance on Scotland Road, that is to say situated in the middle of the block. These were 1 The Clock - 2 The Black Bull - 3 The Travellers Rest - 4 The Plough Inn - 5 The Saddle Inn - 6 The Brewery Vaults
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 11 09:02 BST (UK) »
In 1909 Great Homer Street had 26 pubs.  At no. 76/78 was the Clock Vaults, on the corner of Roscommon Street.  At no. 213 was The Clock, corner of Louis Street.  It belonged to Peter Walker & Son Ltd and then was managed by H.M.Miller.
I don'y have anything for 1960s.
A

Offline kenmc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 June 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
its the clock on the corner of lois st im interested in,,,between 1951 and 60 ,,,a manager called gallager or the wifes maden name galliger   ,,,,,thats the only info i have ,,,can you help?

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 June 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry but I have only a book from 1909.  1950s/60s are too recent for me!
A

Offline kenmc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 June 11 17:24 BST (UK) »
ok thanks anyway the gallagher was spelled wrong sorry ..i may have too bite the bullet an get a look at my birthcertificate i will have to think about that one ,,,once again thanks

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 June 11 17:29 BST (UK) »
Kenmc51.

If You can, try looking in the Liverpool Central Library, they have copies of Gores/Kellys Trade Directories.

Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kenmc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 June 11 23:36 BST (UK) »
thanks pegasuss ,,is that the william brown st one..do you know where i can view my birth certificate ..the full one ,,i have only seen the small one (no fathers details )im at a bit of a loss ,,thanks .....ken

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 June 11 08:05 BST (UK) »
At that date I would suspect that the directories are still in document form which means they are probably held at the satellite office at Sandhills for the time being.  Give them a call if you are planning to visit and ask http://liverpool.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/archives-local-and-family-history/

You can order a copy of your birth certificate online at www.gro.gov.uk - cost £9.25.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)