Author Topic: Marriage certificate - Hulley  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Freckles5

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage certificate - Hulley
« on: Friday 24 June 11 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I have a marriage certificate for my great grandad who was called Francis William Hulley and he married Lois Ann Woodward on 19 April 1897.  I know it is the correct certificate but what is puzzling me is that under grooms name it says James William hulley but he then has signed the certificate as Francis Hulley.  Then for his fathers name it states Joseph Hulley when I know for certain that his father was called Jasper.  Any suggestions as to why the certificate would say these things.  I know that Francis went to prison in 1891 and wondered if maybe that had anything to do with it.

Freckles

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage certificate - Hulley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 June 11 11:28 BST (UK) »
Did you get the certificate from the GRO or from the local register office? Is it a photocopy of the original register or is it a hand written copy?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Freckles5

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi stan

I got the certificate from the local records office and it is hand written, not a photocopy.  When they sent it to me they also enclosed a letter stating that they had double checked it and it was definitely how it had been written.

Freckles

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 June 11 14:09 BST (UK) »
The certificate is filled in by the minister, and he could have made mistakes in the entries. He is not supposed to fill it in in advance, but many clergy did. As you got it from the local records office, and not the register office, I assume it is a copy of the parish register.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk