Author Topic: Can anyone ID this bay/coastal photo? ( maybe somewhere in Australia)COMPLETED  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone ID this bay/coastal photo? ( maybe somewhere in Australia)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 June 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
I'm sure that's a bow - you can see the loops and at least one of the tails.
Lovely view but I have no idea where.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 June 11 06:14 BST (UK) »
From my profile you will notice that at least the Eastern side of Lake Macquarie features in my daily life.  I don't recognise it as around this local area, BUT .... it could well be on the Western side ... Toronto.... Coal Point, Rathmines, Balmoral, Carey Bay, Wangi, Bonnells Bay, or Warners Bay, Valentine, Marks Point etc....

Also, both OH and myself think this photo is post WWII rather than post WWI .... the yacht nearest to that bike seems to be from that later era, and both of us recollect a vessel along the lines of the one under sail, on the Lake in the 60's and later, off Belmont ......  We have not seen it for many many years though.  Family members used to call it a "Chinese Junk" .....

These suburb names I have mentioned may help Cell who mentioned Swansea NSW in one of the early posts. 

If it is of any further help,  I have had a quick look through some of my local history books and have not noticed any similar photos, but ...... the photo does look so familiar to me, and I really would have loved to have been that one step ahead of Cell and got to it first.  ;D

Also, re if female or male .... if female, then she is sitting fairly close to the chap on the bike, even if a relative, it would be unusual to be a female out on a bike around WWI and also being so 'familiar' ....  Is it likely to be a male with wavy hair and as been suggested earlier with their bike goggles on top .... or perhaps a beret with a pom pom on top ....

PS, neighbour says "Could be taken from where Toronto Police Station is on Victory Parade, or the old lane way below near the boat shed on the Lake.  "Old Lane Way" is now called Victory Row, and it is a car park for the boaties.   ;D   May I suggest goodle street view, and Victory Row Toronto to help Cell  ;D

Cheers,  JM

Oops, google street view, not goodle street view  ....  ;D
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cuthie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 June 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
I think it is goggles that have been pushed to the back of his head, possibly over a cap.  Just out of curiousity, is that a big white dog sitting in the bushes near the boat watching the guys with the motor bike and sidecar?  Cuthie

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 June 11 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
thank you all - re goggles : it does look like goggles to me now and not a bow, thank you for suggesting that. I don't think it is a woman  as the more I look, the shape of the face and jaw line looks far too manly- unless it's a butch female . It's odd there is not one female in the picture - where are they? It's male town. What on earth have they done with all the  poor women? ;D

I'm going to have to rip the backing off and take it out of it's frame  to see if there are any markings on it , which I really hate to do - but the curiosity is killing me! The mount is also covering ,at a guess , approx an inch all around the edges of the photo (there maybe something else in that photo that is covered up that may pin point  the location).

Re the yachts - my Oh has suggested some of them look to be fibreglass rather than wooden. It looks very 40's to me, bit too old fashioned for the 50's, and too modern for the 30's -  it's hard to tell isn't it

I can't see a white dog. There is a white patch, I can't really make out what it is.

Thank you  :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline johnfw

• RootsChat Member
  • 5 convict ancestors !! how bad does it get ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 June 11 02:36 BST (UK) »
The motorbike looks to be 1920's. I note the abscence of motor vehicles, might mean something. By date not many vehicles available but not even a horse drawn cart. Plenty of bicycles.

With the vessels slipped a careened so close to the waters edge it is not open sea in Australia. Note the ketch in the distance, not a small vessel. I would expect the waterway to be an inland lake or well sheltered coastal bay.

The vessels are all sleek styled sailing craft and not fishing fleet, I would expect a mix of fishing vessels in most waterways of the time.

I don't believe the houses to be Australian architecture of any time.

I think Europe is the answer but still puzzled.

John
WILKES WILKS; Gloucester
PIGGIN; Leicester

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 June 11 02:45 BST (UK) »
I don't know about John's comment re Australian architecture.
They could be - remember that in early days Australian architecture followed very closely upon the English style.
I certainly didn't discount somewhere in Australia, and I've seen a lot of our fair country.

And not all Australian seaside is open waters.  I live on Moreton BAY, myself   :D

But would say it's somewhere where it can be both very hot and very cold - look at all the verandahs and sunshades, and then look at all the chimneys!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 June 11 03:25 BST (UK) »
The awnings on those homes are so very Australian to me .... When did the Aluminium awnings with the slight downward curve become available ....  I would suggest if they are that type of awning, then post WWII .... 

Lake Macquarie is one of the largest "inland" lakes on the Eastern Seaboard ....
http://www.lakemacquarie.com/Lake-Macquarie-Map.php

In colder months, we light up our fireplace on many evenings, and there is often frost on the ground hours after sun-up.   In warmer months .... well a couple of years ago, on New Years Day (ie summer) it was 45 degrees (C) and the overload on electricity resulted in the power stations failing, so no electricity at all anywheres in the south eastern sector ....

For example, overnight (last night) it was as low as 6 degrees C, and the current temp is 18 degrees C (unofficial of course, as taken from our personal thermometer.)  I would expect similar readings from those in the more urbanised areas on the western side of the Lake.

I think (so could be wrong) that Fibreglass was becoming popular for yachts in the 1960's ....

The ceramic things on the crossbars for electricity supply .... not sure when they were introduced, nor when they were ceased ....

The white "dog" .... I too do not think this is a dog, but perhaps the yacht.... and it could be that is not bushes, but the yacht's overnight covering being removed.

The man standing facing the yacht ... his hat could be a clue ... the brim is NOT  broad ....  I think the usual maker of those hats in Australia was Akurbra and looking at private photos from pre and post WWII the brims became less broad around WWII.

ALSO, may I suggest you are very careful in removing the backing .... Perhaps have a read through some posts here at RChat from the Moderator for the Photo board .... Mod is NSW based .... Prue ....  ;D  ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Charlie Bucket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 27 June 11 06:50 BST (UK) »
It could be New Zealand. Mangonui looks vaguely like it. Or another spot in Northland maybe.

A Northland local would be the best person to ask.

Regards, Charlie.
BURGESS (West Somerset)
TAKLE (West Somerset and Bristol)
QUICK (West Somerset)
STEAR/STEER (West Somerset)
KEEFE (Tipperary; Victoria, Australia; New Zealand)

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 June 11 08:17 BST (UK) »
Cell,

We know it’s cheating, but have you come across the ‘Google’ search where you can copy a picture in and it will try and match it to similar pictures ?

It appears to be a useful tool as using your picture, it brings up very similar views situate Balaena Bay, Wellington, New Zealand ..... what do you think ?

Regards,

Al & Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)