Author Topic: Trying to find any info about Duncan Glasgo and his family  (Read 1722 times)

Offline flintlock1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trying to find any info about Duncan Glasgo and his family
« on: Tuesday 21 June 11 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi There,
Am Trying to find any information on my Great Great Grandfather on my Fathers Maternal side.

His name was Duncan Glasgo, probably born abt 1860, and we think he was maybe Belfast Irish by birth from information passed to my father from my Grandmother Patricia when she was alive.

She was born Patricia Glasgo 1912 in Droxford, Hampshire, and her mother was Margaret Agnes Rose Glasgo, not much known about her also, but my Grandmother Patricia, was convinced that her mother Margaret came from Belfast, Ireland.

Margaret Glasgo was working as a domestic servant at the Droxford Union Workhouse in 1912.
Margaret Married Charles Henry Poffley in 1913 and for the rest of her life lived in Maidstone, Kent, England.

On my Great Grandmother Margaret's Marriage certificate dated 1913, A Duncan Glasgo is named as the father of the bride, The description reads, "Sgt Major 2nd Kings Liverpool Regt"

I am looking for any help on researching the Glasgo name, and especially anything on either Margaret, or her father Duncan please.
I also realize that names may have changed over the years, so Glasgo may have been Glasgow, Glasco, Glascow or any other variation

If anyone could help please.

Regards,

Michael
Brown McKee Tucker Akehurst Hadlow Poffley Humphries Atkins Gibbs Crowther Holness Tollett Glasgo Wallis Ashdown Heathfield
Barton Jenner Jenner-Akehurst Seager

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find any info about Duncan Glasgo and his family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
No need to start a new topic- I put this on Ireland-General board since the location is still uncertain.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline flintlock1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 June 11 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Many thanks for that, and apologies if i caused any problems.

Michael
Brown McKee Tucker Akehurst Hadlow Poffley Humphries Atkins Gibbs Crowther Holness Tollett Glasgo Wallis Ashdown Heathfield

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 11 13:25 BST (UK) »
 Familysearch has a baptism for a Duncan McKenzie GLASGOW 30 March 1869 parents William and Marion at Irvine, Ayr, Scotland.

Do you feel this is too late  ???
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flintlock1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 June 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Bearkat,

Margaret was 28 on her marriage certificate in 1913, so a Date of birth for Duncan her father of about early 1869 could just about be a possibility.
Could be a good line of research, thanks.

Regards,

Michael

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 11 22:19 BST (UK) »
Margaret was 28 on her marriage certificate in 1913, so a Date of birth for Duncan her father of about early 1869 could just about be a possibility.

That would make Duncan Glasgo 16 when Margaret was born  ???

You also need to consider the possiblity that Margaret gave a false name for her father on the marriage certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline flintlock1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 June 11 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I could understand if Margaret gave a false name about her father, but you must admit if she did, it was quite creative of her to have him as a Sergant Major in the the Army. Cant help but thinking there must have been a reason for her to do it, even if she did lie on the certificate.

I Cant help but think what a hard life she must have had before marriage, working in a Workhouse, Having an illigitimate child at the local rectory! then somehow meeting the man who would take care of her, and her fatherless child, moving to Kent and setting up home with Charles Poffley, and later on having three sons with him, as well as her first daughter.

I just wonder what her life was like was before, and during her stay in Hampshire's town of Droxford.

Regards,

Michael

P.s. if it helps, i have another discussion thread on Duncan and Margaret on Roots chat here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,540662.0.html