Author Topic: 1841 Census lookup COLWALL  (Read 5897 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census lookup COLWALL
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 June 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
Don`t know if this is of any help
children of John and Phoebe Davis christened in Colwall,Herefordshire
5th April 1807   JOHN DAVIS
4th February 1810  Richard Davis
24th March 1815 James Davis

do you think the John Davis christened 1807 is YOUR John ?
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census lookup COLWALL
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 June 11 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hello garstonite!

Yes, I think that's my ancestor John; there are three John Davies/Davis born in Colwall at around the right time, but John's marriage certificate to Maria Kempsey in 1846 reveals that his father was also called John; the other two possible Johns were the sons of single mothers, so I've assumed that John and Phoebe are his parents. I presume Phoebe wouldn't be on the 1841 census would she? I don't know when she died, but I can't see her name on the burial records for Colwall between 1813 and 1863... Either she died before 1813, after 1863, or else remarried or died elsewhere.

Thank you for your ongoing help :)
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)