Author Topic: Headstone pictures CAMBUSNETHAN CHURCHYARD WISHAW  (Read 104845 times)

Offline Teya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Headstone pictures CAMBUSNETHAN CHURCHYARD WISHAW
« Reply #342 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 19:00 GMT (UK) »
My records show that Elizabeth Douglas (1829-1898) d/o John Douglas and Elizabeth Young married Thomas Somerville (1827-1910) in 1846, Wishaw.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 22:00 GMT (UK) »
My Helen Paterson was the daughter of Alexander Paterson and Helen Hill, I have the death certificates of their three known children, all with the mother's maiden surname as Hill. No McAlpine/Alpine names in the Paterson family.
I don't have any parents for James, all I have are the Banns and the 1851 and 1861 census with his birthplace as Cambusnethan. He and Helen had six children that I know of, all born in the parish of Hamilton. They are - James born circa 1821, married Janet Currie. Alexander, born circa 1823. John, born 16th July 1825. Marion Alpine born 27th February 1830 - probably died about 1832. Robert born circa 1831. Marion Alpine born 3rd October 1834.
The fact that the eldest son was James suggests that he was named after his paternal grandfather, (although the father was James too). The second son being Alexander, named for his maternal grandfather, strengthens that argument. The name Marian (a variation, in Scotland, of Mary Ann) Alpine was so important to them that they used it twice, suggesting that whoever she was, she was a close and valued relative.
I have no idea when Helen Hill, the maternal grandmother died, she had no children after about 1800, so perhaps her daughter had no memory of her?
Ancestry try to point me with Hints towards James' parents being Robert Douglas and Elizabeth Brownlee but I don't buy it. (Hints from 2 trees, Moore and Anderson). although, to be honest, he isn't an ancestor of mine, so I don't care either way! He was married to a member of my Paterson family.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 22:13 GMT (UK) »
According to the Scotlandspeople death index, James Douglas died in Hamilton 1866 aged 75 years, mother's maiden surname McAlpine.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I checked the death certificate, here it is. His wife Helen died the following year. They lived in Muir Street in the Old Town area of Hamilton.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 23:36 GMT (UK) »
My Helen Paterson was the daughter of Alexander Paterson and Helen Hill, I have the death certificates of their three known children, all with the mother's maiden surname as Hill. No McAlpine/Alpine names in the Paterson family.
I don't have any parents for James, all I have are the Banns and the 1851 and 1861 census with his birthplace as Cambusnethan. He and Helen had six children that I know of, all born in the parish of Hamilton. They are - James born circa 1821, married Janet Currie. Alexander, born circa 1823. John, born 16th July 1825. Marion Alpine born 27th February 1830 - probably died about 1832. Robert born circa 1831. Marion Alpine born 3rd October 1834.
The fact that the eldest son was James suggests that he was named after his paternal grandfather, (although the father was James too). The second son being Alexander, named for his maternal grandfather, strengthens that argument. The name Marian (a variation, in Scotland, of Mary Ann) Alpine was so important to them that they used it twice, suggesting that whoever she was, she was a close and valued relative.
I have no idea when Helen Hill, the maternal grandmother died, she had no children after about 1800, so perhaps her daughter had no memory of her?
Ancestry try to point me with Hints towards James' parents being Robert Douglas and Elizabeth Brownlee but I don't buy it. (Hints from 2 trees, Moore and Anderson). although, to be honest, he isn't an ancestor of mine, so I don't care either way! He was married to a member of my Paterson family.

I'm talking rubbish here, it's too late and it's past my bedtime!
Robert was the father's name but, according to James's death certificate his mother was McAlpine.
I wonder now if there was a mistake in the 1851 census? Or, were there two Mary/Marion McAlpine's?
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: Thursday 28 March 24 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I managed to find a few more burial records, all from Cambusnethan old churchyard.

First of all, a plot in the churchyard without a headstone in place.
The owner, in Victorian times, was Robert Douglas. 3 interments recorded.

AGNES TENNANT DOUGLAS, aged 63 years.
Interred 14th October 1924.

ROBERT DOUGLAS, aged 74 years.
Interred 14th February 1912.

JANE HAMILTON DOUGLAS, aged 79 years.
Interred 29th April 1918.

According to the Scotlandspeople index, the above Robert Douglas' mother's maiden surname was Young. In the Day Book register he is described as a portioner, Wishaw, son of Robert Douglas and Agnes Young. (A portioner owned a (usually) small piece of land, enough for a house and stable perhaps).
The above Agnes Tennant Douglas died in Milngavie (Mill-guy) and her mother's maiden surname was Dougal.
This plot is very close to the plot with the stone "Erected to Robert Douglas by his son James". (No. 111 in your records).

A few more entries I found in the Day Books.

This first one is, I think, one of yours but I'm not sure.

JOHN D. REID, Glasgow, (residence Liverpool) aged 5 years.
Parents - John Reid and Janet Douglas.
Interred 6th April 1874.

STILLBORN MALE LIGHTBODY, 6 Sneddon's Pit.
Parents - Thomas Lightbody and Christina Douglas.
Interred 30th August 1866.

THOMAS LIGHTBODY, Wishaw, aged 17 months.
Parents - Thomas Lightbody and Christina Douglas.
Interred 15th September 1871.

CHRISTINA DOUGLAS, Glasgow, aged 34 years, married.
Parents - John Douglas and Elizabeth Young.
Interred 31st December 1877.

THOMAS SOMMERVILLE, Wishaw, aged 2 years & 7 months.
Parents - Thomas Sommerville and Elizabeth Douglas.
Interred 6th March 1867.

ELIZABETH DOUGLAS, Wishaw, aged 67 years, widow.
Parents - James Young and Elizabeth Martin.
Interred 4th February 1873.

ELIZABETH HAMILTON, Wishaw, aged 46 years, married.
Parents - James Douglas and Janet Douglas.
Interred 9th June 1873.

If you can prove/confirm that the above Elizabeth Hamilton was married to William Hamilton and that he died early January 1899 then you can safely assume that the plot No.111 is the right one as William is recorded as being interred in that plot 9th January 1899 aged 74 years.

I will now go and search for any children of William and Elizabeth.

Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: Thursday 28 March 24 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a Robert Douglas (possibly born about 1828 - 1832 perhaps?) who was married to Charlotte Brunt. She died, I think, 1854 aged 25 years, so he probably married again.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Teya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: Thursday 04 April 24 01:14 BST (UK) »
Having studied the Douglas family further, I think your Helen Paterson married to James Douglas doesn’t belong to me as thought. Robert Douglas and Elizabeth Brounlee had a James Dowglass b. Apr. 30, 1788, Cambusnethan, and checking the 1851 and 1861 Scottish Census for James married to Helen Paterson, his age is wrong. Ancestry is quite misleading here.

John Brownlie (Brounlee) (1730-abt. 1800) and Mary Downie (1734-1799) had Thomas in 1759 Cambusnethan. Is there a Thomas Brownlie (Brounlee) listed with a Christian Hamilton? They married in Cambusnethan in 1787.

I’m hoping you might have a record for Somerville/Brownlee or Reid/Brownlee? Elizabeth Somerville (abt. 1810-1874) an illegitimate daughter to Mary Douglas (1786-1863) lived with Mary’s family after she married William Reid. Elizabeth Somerville or Reid married James Brownlee (1807-1857).

Offline Teya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: Thursday 04 April 24 01:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the entries for Agnes Tennant Douglas and her parents Robert and Jane H. Dougal.
John D. Reid as yet doesn’t seem to belong to me. I’m thinking Christina Douglas, d/o John Douglas and Elizabeth Young, is married to Thomas Lightbody. Elizabeth Hamilton is the daughter of my direct line who stayed behind with her husband and family when her Douglas family emigrated.  I’m very glad to know where her remains are. And yes, William is indeed her husband, so No. 111 seems to be my Douglas plot.!
As you might expect I’ve a good number of Robert Douglas.
Robert Douglas b. 1826, Cambusnethan married Janet Marchbank in 1857, perhaps Charlotte Brunt (abt. 1829 – 1854) was his first wife? Or it could be the above Elizabeth Hamilton’s brother Robert Douglas (1831-1903) who married in June 1854. Is she buried in #111? There is also Robert Douglas b 1833 s/o Alexander Douglas and Agnes Anderson. I have no other data on him.
I think I’ve caught up on your messages. Again I appreciate all your help with this.