Author Topic: Headstone pictures CAMBUSNETHAN CHURCHYARD WISHAW  (Read 104999 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Headstone pictures CAMBUSNETHAN CHURCHYARD WISHAW
« Reply #360 on: Sunday 14 April 24 02:07 BST (UK) »
Trying to get a handle on all these Douglases!
RE:
ELIZABETH T. MUIRHEAD, Wishaw, aged 25 years.
Parents - William Hamilton & Elizabeth Douglas.
11th February 1878.

According to Scotland's People it was Isabella not Elizabeth who died in
(1878 age 25 1878 MUIRHEAD/HAMILTON ISABELLA TELFOR age 25 mother m.n. DOUGLAS
628 / 45 CAMBUSNETHAN)

;)
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: Sunday 14 April 24 09:33 BST (UK) »
Well spotted Ard!

I re-checked the transcripts I have and it is definitely Elizabeth T.
I wasn't involved in the transcribing of these particular records and this may either be a mistake on the transcriber's part or in the original record-keeper's. I've come across various mistakes over the years in these transcriptions and, to be honest, I think most of them were the fault of the original cemetery staff.

I hope Teya can perhaps shed some light?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Monday 15 April 24 03:27 BST (UK) »
I have found that mistakes abound (particularly names) in all kinds of records, even OPRs - whether these be in the original records, early transcriptions or more recent ones. With everyone and their cat sharing similar names, it must have been easy for those maintaining the records to muddle the who's who of the various families!! In this case, it may have been a mix-up with her mother's name or who knows, maybe her full name was Isabella Elizabeth Telfor Hamilton!

But I did want to point it out because I had assumed there was a daughter Elizabeth and went looking for her yet the year date only fit Isabella! Per the OPRs, it appears she married a David Muirhead in 1873 so she died only five years into the marriage. As far I can tell they had two children, Robert (1874) and Elizabeth Douglas (in 1878, possibly leading to Isabella's premature death).

And I'll take this opportunity to once again thank you Lodger for the incredibly generous effort you put in to sharing so much information on this forum. I'm a grateful fan! It does seem, at times, that all those 19th century Wishaw/Cambusnethan families were related to each other in some shape or form. At one time you wrote something about 6 digits and webbed toes - I don't know if you were making a random joke, but I really had to laugh because my cousin does kind of have webbed toes!
Cheers!
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Teya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Monday 15 April 24 14:42 BST (UK) »
I can definitely respond to Isabella Telfer Hamilton. She is the daughter of William Hamilton and Elizabeth Douglas, grand daughter to James Douglas and Janet Douglas, my direct relatives.
Isabella was born July 27, 1852 Wishawtown and died age 25, Feb. 9, 1878 of Peritonitis in Wishaw. A child Elizabeth D. was born about that time and her death may have been related to this. David Muirhead remarried Nov. 15, 1878 to Marion Fisher. Isabella Telfer Hamilton was named after her father's mother Isabella Telfer.

In regard to Elizabeth T. Muirhead, I suspect it's an error and this should read Isabella T. Muirhead. According to Ard, she was buried Feb. 11, 1878. Is the burial near the Robert Douglas clan?

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: Monday 15 April 24 15:21 BST (UK) »
Teya, all I can tell you is that she's in the old churchyard, if she'd have died after 1880 her name would have appeared in the Plot Book but, unless we know of any of the (presumably) Muirhead family who died after 1880 it's impossible to tell. There's no sign of David's interment either.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Teya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Monday 15 April 24 15:37 BST (UK) »
David Muirhead with his 2nd wife Marion Fisher left Scotland in 1883 for the US and settled in Danville, Illinois.

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 00:19 BST (UK) »
David Muirhead with his 2nd wife Marion Fisher left Scotland in 1883 for the US and settled in Danville, Illinois.

No wonder I couldn't find him! Perhaps you knew his parents names? I may be able to find them, if it's important to you?
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 09:33 BST (UK) »
Just for the record, the name Isabella originates from the Spanish/Portuguese version of Elizabeth, so it is basically the same name. See https://www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Isabel.html

I have, very occasionally, come across a person who has been referred to by both names.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 10:28 BST (UK) »
Just for the record, the name Isabella originates from the Spanish/Portuguese version of Elizabeth, so it is basically the same name. See https://www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Isabel.html

I have, very occasionally, come across a person who has been referred to by both names.

Well done Forfarian, that could explain this anomaly. She may have been known as Lizzie, or even Izzy, (an elderly friend of mine, a very douce and "Kirky" Isabel, is know to her VERY close friends as Izzy).
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.