Author Topic: Help please Thomas, Alice, Jane or Betty Dobbin. Long lost cousins.  (Read 13998 times)

Offline jdslemish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please Thomas, Alice, Jane or Betty Dobbin. Long lost cousins.
« on: Monday 27 June 11 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi am trying to find out information on my cousins and am hoping that someone out there can help. I have tried the various search links, which I greatly acknowledge, posted by other users, I am also aware that sometimes the key lies in how the question is asked and I have met a dead end each time so am hoping that all you more knowledgable people can help me. The question starts with,
My uncle Thomas Dobbin born here in N. Ireland November 1900 went to America (unknown). I always knew he had two daughters one of whom died trgaically at a young age (this is confirmed by a tiny newspaper article). I know a very remarkable lady (still living but sadly memory not good) who went to America in 1938 and knew the daughters of Thomas, she thinks that Thomas was dead by '38.  This lady was unable to return home again as war broke out, she came back to Ireland in the late 80's. The newspaper article which came to me via Thomas's sister Margarets family things (I never knew her she left for America at 17 (born 1896) and never returned home) reads as and I quote every word..
Bronx Girl is Drowned on vacation in Vermont.
Arrangements are being made today for the funeral of Jane Dobbin, 11, daughter of Mrs Alice Dobbin, 537 E. 148th St, who was drowned on wednesday at lake Iroquois, Vt.,where she was vacationing with a sister, Betty 9.
Jane and Betty were the guests of a family at Shelbourne, Vt and had gone swimming in the shallow waters ofthe lakewhen Jane suffered a cramp and sank. Efforts to revive her with a pulmotor failed.
On my searches I have yet to find the marriageof Thomas to Jane (presumably new york) or the births of their daughters or indeed the death of Jane.
Any leads on how to search this greatly welcomed.
Cheer
John Dobbin

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Thomas, Alice, Jane or Betty Dobbin. Long lost cousins.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 June 11 10:19 BST (UK) »
What is the date of the Newspaper article ?...
this would give us the year of Janes birth - 11 years previous - thus probably the year of the marriage around about 12 months earlier ....
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 11 10:27 BST (UK) »
Think the problem is that the article is undated. John- any clues from the back of the article?

Only thing I could find is a death for a Thomas Dobbin (age 36) died 11 Dec.1938 Bronx, N.Y.
http://www.italiangen.org/VRECLIST.stm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 June 11 12:28 BST (UK) »

On my searches I have yet to find the marriageof Thomas to Jane (presumably new york)

Shouldn't you be looking for the marriage of Thomas to Alice (mother of Jane?)

Or am I reading this wrong?

dollylee

Offline jdslemish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 00:42 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks for your responses

Only thing I could find is a death for a Thomas Dobbin (age 36) died 11 Dec.1938 Bronx, N.Y.
Have followed this link and appears to be the most accurate piece of information to go on so will continue with this data unless something else comes to light. As regards to the article it really is tiny, postage stamp size and also not the original as the back is blank.
Shouldn't you be looking for the marriage of Thomas to Alice (mother of Jane?)

Correct a typo on my behalf I meant the marriage of Thomas to Alice, I don't think they ever moved too far away from Bronx but again I can no info or record of this marriage.
i just remembered something
Also have a memorial card for an Alice Dobbin on the back it says wife of Thomas
it simply reads
Alice Dobbin entered into eternal life september 9 1966. (after the prayer) V. Scozza funeral home inc. 1822 westchester avenue, bronx, new york ty 2-7238
Havent resesrched this yet as not sure if it will give any more info on Betty.

Many thanks for helping so far.
J.D.

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 01:28 BST (UK) »
The date of September 9, 1966 does give you a very good time frame to see if an obituary can be found.   An obituary might give you a married name for Betty or even her place of residence.

Do you have a second name for Thomas?  There is a marriage for a Thomas G. Dobbin to an Alsie M. Hazel in 1927 in Manhattan.  Perhaps a mis-transcription?

dollylee

Offline jdslemish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 01:41 BST (UK) »
Oh my word.. My Thomas had the second name of Gerald.. so Thomas G..??
Many thanks dollylee

Offline jdslemish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 July 11 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys many thanks for all your help so far, if I could bother you with another question please as I am unfamiliar as to what information can be gained from social security death indexes.
I did a search in familysearch.org (a link I kindly followed by folk provided on this site) and found an Elizabeth Dobbin born 26th Feb 1933, this was under u.s. social security death index. It says place of issuance Pennsylvania, death date July 1969. My questions are...Is place of issuance where the individual died? Could this be the betty mentioned in the newspaper article? (born approx 1933 in New York)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 July 11 09:31 BST (UK) »
Now children are issued with a Social Security number but that wasn't always the case. She would probably have applied for one after starting work.
Issued in Pennsylvania merely means the person was living in Pennsylvania when the number was applied dor and issued. Sometimes the online record gives a death locality but this one doesn't.
Without you knowing Betty's date of birth it's impossible to say if this is a record for her.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!