Author Topic: Help please Thomas, Alice, Jane or Betty Dobbin. Long lost cousins.  (Read 13999 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Thomas, Alice, Jane or Betty Dobbin. Long lost cousins.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 July 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Margaret Dobbin. Born about 1874 and aged 27 years. Last residence:- Randalstown. Travelled Liverpool. England to New York. Arriving 8 May 1901 on the Majestic. Single. ladies Maid. Going to brother John Dobbin. 170 Street., Cretona Park  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jdslemish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra and everyone else involved in helping so far.
I have come a long way and discovered so much since my original post mainly thanks to rootschat and it's posters.
Susan your last post mentioned Margaret Dobbin, she went on to marry Stephen Jeffries and so is linked to my uncles Arthur and Thomas, she was sister to the uncle John so frequently mentioned in their passageway to America.
I have also learned to take nothing for granted....
my grandfather was William-Henry brother to the John and Margaret already mentioned but thanks to, "Sandra Sue and Shelly" and their mention of boats and passages to america, I spent a great deal time looking into ellis island and discovered that, a great aunt (Annie sister to above) that I had presumed died as an infant simply because she never was mentioned by relatives or I had no record of her apart from baptism, now turns up having passed through ellis island no less than four times possibly five. On one of these occasions she was taking her niece with her (my aunt whom I knew). On starting out I thought the only missing relative was Thomas and I now know so much more but also so little.....
Sandra you are so right I now need to research the addresses mentioned on thse passages but can I also ask if Hugh Artie or Tommy were accompanied by the aforesaid "dead" Annie, I am intrigued by this woman.
Cheers JD

Offline jdslemish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys
Been a while now since my last post and was hoping that perhaps someone might have another angle of approaching this?. I have taken on board and followed all leads suggested, these leads whilst interesting and enjoyable (historical sense) always take on a new new tangent and direct myself away from the main goal. I am still hopeful that perhaps there is information out there and that your goodselves can perhaps guide me to finding it.
Many thanks to anyone who reads this and gives it consideration.
Slainte
J.D.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 15:32 GMT (UK) »
This appears to have the death record for Jane: 
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-17871-90093-5?cc=1784223

The mother's name of Alice Hagel seems like a likely match for the 1927 marriage that dollylee found above.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I found an article in the Lowell (Mass.) Sun dated 13 Aug. 1942 that reads as follows:

American Tragedy
Burlington, Vt., Aug. 13
(UP) - Jane Dobbin, 12, of New York city, one of a group sent to Vermont by the New York Herald fresh air fund, drowned yesterday in Lake Iroquois at Hinesburg.  Her father, a brother, and a sister have died within the last three months.

Offline jdslemish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 07 April 12 01:08 BST (UK) »
Many Many thanks to everyone for their input into all the information provided. Especially to shellyesq.  I must admit that shellyesq last few posts left me feeling a little bit empty and a realisation dawned that perhaps it's time to give up the search, this is what I feel I have to do  in the case of my Uncle Thomas, but I hasten to add that thanks to everyone who posted, Iam in fact not really giving up merely resigning to the fact that there is not enough information out there. Sandra your posts were very informative and I enjoyed all thatthey showed me, I appreciate all the time and effort you spent, thank-you from the bottom of my heart.
Shellyesq your last posts made me realise that I was chasing a family line that no longer existed, and again I need to thank you for not only your efforts but dilligence in the answers you uncovered.

Offline jdslemish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 07 April 12 01:18 BST (UK) »
Weird thought, and perhaps just to show how family trees go on forever, anyone like to hazzard a guess as to my age? Uncle Tommy was born inNovember 1900, he was my daddy's brother, there were 17 children. As far as I can make out myself and siblings are the only descendants of these 17 still to have the surname Dobbin. But not to digress,  anyone gonna guess my age?
Kindest Regards
J.D.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 07 April 12 04:02 BST (UK) »
I'll guess 21, since it sounds good.   ;)  Considering this story about 2 of Pres. Tyler's grandchildren still living - http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/former-president-john-tyler-1790-1862-grandchildren-still-191230189.html - just about any large stretch of generations seems possible.

Now that the 1940 Census has been released, you might be able to find some of this family on there.  http://1940census.archives.gov/  It hasn't been indexed yet, but I know there are people working in it.  At least that might narrow down if the 1938 death for Thomas is a possibility. 

My thought on the newspaper article was that maybe it meant the relatives died over the last three years (or so), rather than months.  I can certainly imagine some confusion occurring when getting the facts from either a grieving mother or a second-hand source.   The italiangen.org death index has a Richard Dobbins, age 1, who died in the Bronx on 28 Apr. 1938. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 June 12 13:49 BST (UK) »
I was thinking about this old thread, and in case you haven't seen it already, I found the family in the 1940 Census.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nm3/  That seems to fit with the 1938 death found for Thomas.