Author Topic: Belper Grammar school  (Read 10078 times)

Offline andy wright 1955

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belper Grammar school
« on: Monday 27 June 11 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a relative George Mellor Wright who in the 1911 census is listed as headmaster of the Grammar school in Belper. I understand the school was opened in 1908.  George Wright died in 1913 aged just 36 yrs.
I was wondering if anyone had any info on the school, perhaps giving an insight as to how George came to be appointed, and secondly does anyone have access to the newspapers of the day that might provide the obituary of his death or of the circumstances to his death.
Many thanks in anticipation
Andy Wright

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Belper Grammar school
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
It might be worth contacting someone from this site
http://strutts.org.uk/history.shtml
It says on there that the head was a Mr Tunnicliffe but I'm sure they will have access to lots of information which would help you. There may even be  a photo of your relative lurking somewhere, I bet they photographed the staff.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 14:02 BST (UK) »
on that site that Gardener provided under the histry tab at the top is short history. choose that and then scroll down the page a bit, there is a photo taken of some of the orginal staff, one being a Mr H G Wright, no idea if this is your man, but its worth a look :)
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 June 11 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Andy,

Regarding the photo of the Herbert  Strutt School Staff, I will check
the original held by Belper Historical Society and let you know what
it states, there may have been an error when it went on the Strutt
Site.

May I suggest you check the entry on the 1911 Census, does it
actually state HEAD Master or just Master?  I ask because there is
no doubt that Mr. Tunnicliffe was the first Head at this School.

In 1901 George Mellor Wright was a Student Teacher, so unlikely
to have been a Head Master of a Grammar School only 10 years later.

Will get back to you as soon as I have the information.
Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline andy wright 1955

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 11 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your wonderful replies.
In the 1911 census George Mellor Wright is described as head of the household. The household being his wife and young child, two assistant schoolmasters (Aubrey Moore Beck and Arthur Reginald Hutchings), two maids and several students. His occupation is described as "head". He is also described as an employer, unless he was living in a complete fantasy, he does suggest some position of importance!
In the 1901 census he was at a college in Suffolk where he was a student teacher, studying English & Science.
One of the things that intrigued me was the fact that he was headmaster of a new largish grammar school at such a young age, perhaps he over-stated his occupation in the 1911 census.
Many thanks for your help and looking forward to replies.
Regards
Andy Wright

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 June 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
GMW's will is included in the probate calendar on Ancestry. Have you seen that? I don't have access myself.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 June 11 09:51 BST (UK) »
i dont suppose anyone would question him if he did overstate a little on the census. indeed my husband did on the most recent one. his job is car valeter, he filled in automotive inspector!   ::) ::)

maybe he was also head of a group of boys, ie head of year etc.

just looked at the probate record and that says schoolmaster of belper derbyshire, so maybe he did just exagerate a little on his occupation?

did you see the photo on the site gardener posted?

ADDED- just seen the 1911 census for him, and he even goes as far as to say he is an employer! could it be that he was acting head? was mr tunnicliffe was off on his jolly hollys? it seems rather a bold claim to put head and employer if he wasnt?!
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 June 11 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hello.... :)

From the probate index
George Mellor Wright died 30th April 1913 - Schoolmaster of the Grammar School at Belper - Administration to his widow Margaret Mellor Wright

GMW's will is included in the probate calendar on Ancestry. Have you seen that? I don't have access myself.

Free Access for a week.... :D

Ancestry Probate - Access is available to search for free from midnight on 30th June 2011 BST
until 11.59 on 8th July 2011 BST

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 June 11 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Andy,

You will be pleased to know that George M Wright, did not over state his position,
you just have the wrong Grammar School.

He was renting the premises on Chapel Street, Belper and running a private grammar
school, this in previous years was known as Belper Collegiate School or The Grammar School and was always operated as a private boarding school.

Probably shortly after the death of GMW, the premises were owned for a short time by
George Brettles & Co., then 1938 by Derbel Manufacturing Co., then 1984 by Dalton & Co
the last time the premises were used George Brettle & Co.,rented the premises from
 Dalton & co and used as their factory outlet shop.  The premises have stood empty for many years.

Google Earth search Chapel Street, Belper DE56 - Street view, shows the premises
Stone building, with Carriage Arch and large estate agents sign "Jones" in the front lawn.

Regards
spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.