Author Topic: Mclennans of Killearnan  (Read 4554 times)

Offline angiek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mclennans of Killearnan
« on: Monday 27 June 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the parents of Coline or Colin Mclennan bc1737. He had 9 children with Isabel Kemp in Dingwall....
Anne 1765
Helen 1767
Christian 1769
Isabel 1771
Rory 1773
Flory 1775
Donald 1778
Grissel 1780
Jannet 1780.
I have located the burials of Colin Mclennan at Dingwall, St Clements buried 1819, age 82 and Isabella Kemp buried 1823 age 83. The burial would indicate that Colin was born circa 1737. I have located a baptism 27/1/1750 in Killearnan to parents Donald Mclennan and Mary Mckenzie. If they are the correct parents, I would also like to find the marriage of Donald Mclennan and Mary Mckenzie. Can anyone help please ?

Offline brucem2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mclennans of Killearnan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 11 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I did a short article on son Donald on page 13 at http://www.clanmaclennan-worldwide.com/aust/news/clannews_97_nov10.pdf

Bruce
McLennan (Kilmorack, Inverness-shire and (eastern) Ross-shire), Kerr (Easter Leadburn, Peeblesshire)

Offline angiek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce,

Thank you so much for the information, it makes fascinating reading.

Donald's sister Christian Mclennan is my 3 x great grandmother. Although there
appears to be a lot of information online on the Mclennan clan, I have had difficulty
finding information specifically about Christian's siblings and her parents Colin Mclennan
and Isabel Kemp.

You mention in your article, a brother Roderick. I have Rory bc1773 but no Roderick,
information which I found on familysearch.org

Do you know of anyone who may have information on these Mclennans that may be able
to help me ?

Many thanks & regards,
Angie.

Offline brucem2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 11 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angie,

Have you seen the obit that was published in the Inverness Courier in 1851 - when Capt Donald's memorial was erected?

I woudl be interested to learn the names of Christian's spouse and children for our McLennan worldwide tree - but no further (that is our scope).

And anything you might learn about Colin and Isabel.

If you would like to write to me directly at famhist (at) clanmaclennan-worldwide (dot) com I'll see if I can find the transcript of the 1851 obit for you.

Best wishes,
Bruce
McLennan (Kilmorack, Inverness-shire and (eastern) Ross-shire), Kerr (Easter Leadburn, Peeblesshire)

Offline vinci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 12 11:05 GMT (UK) »
On my tree I have Colin's brother Donald McLennan ( 1765-?) born Killearnan and his parents Donald McLennan and Mary McKenzie but no further information on them.

I am confused by the age / birth dates for Colin as there is the birth of a Colin McLennan to Donald McLennan and Mary McKenzie on 14th January 1750 at Killearnan, but the age at death as shown by the monument referred to at does not tally with this birth date of 1750. 

In the garden he built a monument to his
brother, Roderick. Donald’s father, Colin, died in 1819 (aged 82 years) and their
mother (nee Isabella Kemp) in 1825 (aged 85 years). Donald himself died at
Dingwall in 1848 and a profile appeared in the Inverness Courier in 1851 after
the memorial was erected by his sisters.

So I am left wondering if there are two Colin McLennans

My descent is from Donald McLennan (c 1720 to ?) and wife Mary Mackenzie, their son Donald McLennan (c 18.3.1765 to ?) and his wife Mary Glass, their son Alexander McLennan (1802-1882) and spouse Ann McKenzie ( 1806-1875) and their son George McLennan (1851-1897) who married Mary Hardie (c 1853-1938) whose daughter Edith McLennan ( 1882-1969) is my maternal grandmother.

Richard

Offline brucem2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 12 07:33 GMT (UK) »
My understanding is that the History of the Mathesons gives the clues that his father was Roderick McLennan and mother - Unknown Matheson.  Her father was Colin Matheson - "Colin a merchant in Dingwall who died without male issue but left two daughters" one of whom married Roderick McLennan, father of Colin.
Bruce
PS If you would like you could write to me directly at famhist (at) clanmaclennan-worldwide (dot) com