Author Topic: numbers on a marriage certificate  (Read 1720 times)

Offline carolosunny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
numbers on a marriage certificate
« on: Monday 27 June 11 22:00 BST (UK) »
I received a copy of a marriage certificate off the GRO today. The marriage took place in 1935. Under the section where it says condition the 1st says widower next to it is a number (which I can't make out) but this has been crossed out and the number 4 and the word 'years' (I think it says that)has been wrote. Then underneath where it says widow there again is a number but a 5 and the word years. At the side of the certificate is written four and five and the registrar has initalled them. Does this mean that the people concerned have been widowed for 4 and 5 years? thanxs for your help XX

Ive tried to attatch a photo but there was a technical error

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: numbers on a marriage certificate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 June 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
The annotations are part of the system of doing corrections in registers. All corrections of a minor nature occurring at the time of the entry have to be numbered, obviously to prevent someone coming along later and altering an entry. Therefore, in this case, the corrections would have been made at the time it was entered and are  the 4th, and 5th such corrections in the register.  The reason for the corrections should be written in the margin of the certificate.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolosunny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thanxs Stan..it dosn't say anything on the margin about any mistakes just the four and five words....also there is a line through the wording 'according to the rites and ceremonies of the'  and also at the end it should say by me but the by has been crossed out and written 'before'....it seems to have alot changed on it....

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 June 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
If it says 'before me' then it should be a Register Office marriage. Does it not say "Marriage Solemnized at The Register Office" along the top?

Stan

Offline carolosunny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan...yes it says marriage solemnized at the register office along the top :) I'm expecting another marriage certificate today (the male of my family was married 3 times, well 3 that I know of lol ) so I will compare...

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 09:51 BST (UK) »
The reason for the corrections should be written in the margin of the certificate.

Stan

Just to clarify, corrections of errors discovered, at the time of entry, before completion of the certificate are just numbered and initialed in the margin. For errors discovered within a month of the entry being made then the Registrar (in the case of a Register Office marriage) in the presence of the relevant parties, or in their absence in the presence of the Superintendent Registrar and two other credible witnesses, corrects the erroneous entry by entry in the margin, without making any alteration of the original entry, and sign the marginal entry, adding date when the correction was made. In the case of a church marriage then it is the minister in the presence of the relevant parties.

Stan