Author Topic: Great Glen  (Read 4975 times)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Great Glen
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 May 24 09:36 BST (UK) »
There are some mentions residents of Hawthorne Lodge, Great Glen, in the newspapers, including the surnames of Timson in 1932 and Sproston in 1934-61.

David

Offline Jaydon2208

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 May 24 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I can confirm these details are correct, how did you come across these! I only found them on our house deeds and paperwork.

I believe sproston was a photographer. Timson only lived in the house for the a short period.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 May 24 01:45 BST (UK) »
You can find who was living there on the 1939 register

I looked at several families in 1939 to see if they had evacuees living with them .a whole group came with their teacher from the same school in Islington
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 May 24 11:42 BST (UK) »
There is one article which gives the address as Hawthorn Lodge, 33 London Road, Great Glen, when Edith Maud Sproston died in 1985. Makes it easier to find on the map and the house number can be seen on Google Street View.

David

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 May 24 13:42 BST (UK) »
Archibald George Stevenson was a Boot and Shoe manufacturer who had a factory in Oadby. The Electoral Roll of 1930 gives his abode as Great Glen, but no specific address.

A newspaper article in 1929 gives his address as Hawthorn Lodge, Leicester. He was find £1 for obstructing the highway.

He had a daughter named Dorothy in 1898 but I can't find Lillian.

In 1921, Archibald was with his wife, Lettie, and daughter, Dorothy, in Carlton Elms Road, Leicester.

In 1939, Archibald was a Hotel Proprietor in Spalding, with Lettie. As a widow, Lettie died there on 23rd May 1944, Archibald having died in 1943

David

Offline wendz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 May 24 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi All!

Wow!! Thank you so very much for your wonderful replies to my post.  It was 8 years ago I made it so it was a lovely surprise to get a notification I had replies to read!

Thank you Jaydon, for the lovely photo of the Lodge as it is today. Sadly I didn't get to meet my Grandma so I only had the stories my Mum told me and a few photo's passed down from her.

David, I have since found out that Lilian was Dorothy's cousin, Florence Lilian, but preferred to be known as Lilian. My Grandma used to look after both girls. The 1921 Census shows my Grandma living with William Stevenson and Florrie (Lilian's parents) at Pen-Sylva on London Road, Oadby. Dorothy married Ernest Andrews in Spalding during 1935 and died there in 1988 aged 90 years.

Thank you again for all of your lovely replies, I do have a FindMyPast subscription so I will have a renewed look at the newspapers as there have been quite a few additions since I last looked.

Best wishes

Wendy
Marlow, Poole, Arnold - Leicestershire
Sturgess, Dickens, Thorpe, Loomes - Northamptonshire
Dewing - Norfolk

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 May 24 05:41 BST (UK) »
The Great Glen brownies are earning their history badges this month I went as a guest speaker with the blacksmith s granddaughter

They were interested in the evacuees from Islington & what happened to them .if you know anything about any of them please add to my post on London forum . Or any photos of WW2 era that you can share please PM  me + I will report back to brown owl 🦉

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 May 24 08:28 BST (UK) »
The Great Glen brownies are earning their history badges this month I went as a guest speaker with the blacksmith s granddaughter

They were interested in the evacuees from Islington & what happened to them .if you know anything about any of them please add to my post on London forum . Or any photos of WW2 era that you can share please PM  me + I will report back to brown owl 🦉