Author Topic: Happy Birthday, Keith!  (Read 886 times)

Paul E

Happy Birthday, Keith!
« on: Saturday 30 April 05 06:24 BST (UK) »
As esteemed Rootschatter and bon viveur, Keith Bateman, celebrates his birthday today, I thought that perhaps it was time to reflect back on his life.

Born in 1925, Keith's childhood was spent in the shadow of the General Strike.   After much training from his mother and father, he spent his early years avoiding debt collectors and census enumerators by hiding behind the sofa whenever there was a knock on the door.   

It is a habit that has continued to this day, although he may be found on the 1971 census only because he confused the knock on the door of the census-taker with that of Nobby Baker, his erstwhile Pools collector.

During the war, Keith enlisted with the 17th Herefords, only afterwards realising that this was in fact a rare breed of cows rather than a regiment.  He spent his war years in a quiet field in Somerset.

A keen reader, the post-war years saw Keith getting a job in the Cheshire County Council library service, where he achieved the highest honour that can be bestowed on a librarian, the Philip Larkin Silver Toad, in 1963.

In the early '70's, Keith developed a taste for foreign travel, and since his retirement in 1985 he has spent barely a month in the UK each year as a  concession to the Inland Revenue.

His postings to Rootschat from across the globe are always keenly awaited by his many readers.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEITH!

For a more accurate acount of Keith's family history, readers could do worse than consult http://www.batemans-history.rootschat.net/ which is a cracking site!

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Keith!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 April 05 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hear ! Hear !

I'll drink to that !

Have a great birthday Keith and keep up the
postings to Rootschat from across the globe [which] are always keenly awaited by his many readers.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 05 11:10 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEITH - HOPE YOU HAVE A NICE ONE !!

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 05 13:44 BST (UK) »
Happy Birthday from me Keith ...hope you have a good one, despite Paul adding 20 years to your age! (he's a cheeky blighter aint he?)

Heather  :D
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 05 13:52 BST (UK) »
During the war, Keith enlisted with the 17th Herefords, only afterwards realising that this was in fact a rare breed of cows rather than a regiment.  He spent his war years in a quiet field in Somerset.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D That's really funny Paul!

Happy birthday Keith,have a good'un.

Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Paul E

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 April 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
despite Paul adding 20 years to your age!

I blame a transcription error!

All the best, Keith - hope you had a super 60th!

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 May 05 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all those good wishes - have only just properly wooken up from a great night out with family and friends - too much just enough wine!!

How right you are Paul - I lied to the enumerator every time - except in 2001 when they missed me off altogether - I was moving house at the time - so just shows it can still be done - and the reasons why we can't find relations in 1861 becomes clearer!!

Now what to do for the next 60 years!!
Find my grandmothers birth date - find my.........
Think the first one will do!!

Thanks again for a GREAT site and great friends.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails