Author Topic: DEVLIN family Victoria  (Read 10615 times)

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
Re: DEVLIN family Victoria
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 11 September 11 07:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. My connection to the Devlin's is through marriage of Margaret Ryan who married John Devlin (woodcutter) abt 1881 in Melbourne. Their children were; William, Mary, Annie, John, Elizabeth, Margaret and Edith.
Margaret Ryan was born in Leopold, Geelong her only brother  Michael Ryan, was my G Grandfather. I am gathering all information on his sibs trying to find out where they really came from in Ireland.
I would be interested in talking to you!

Cheers,

Fran Nugent ;D
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline Rob Devling

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 20 November 15 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a fair bit of knowledge about the extended Devlin family which arrived in Marcus Hill in 1852.  John Devlin and his wife Mary Ann (Murdoch) brought 3 children with them (one of whom died just before arrival) and left two behind in County Armagh, though they later came to the Bellarine Peninsula.
This year I went to Ireland and found the exact location from which they came, the Church in Loughgall where they were married in 1842, 6 miles north of Armagh and the Devlin family who have remained living in that area for the past 160 years.  I am in contact with them by email as they are fascinated to discover about the Australian link to the clan.
My Great Grandfather, Robert, came out of the Marco Polo as a 2 year old and about 1867, after the death of his father John, in 1865 from a tragic accident, Robert added a 'g' to the surname and my line became Devling.
No doubt you are aware of the Devlins who still live in the Geelong area who are direct descendants of Thomas and Richard, the youngest of John and Mary Ann's children.

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 21 November 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for your reply.
I know little of the Devlin family other than the children born to Margaret (nee Ryan) and John Devlin and the parents of John.
I have had no contact with Devlin's of the Geelong area, but would love to see if they have any info on Margaret and John Devlin, would be greatfull if u have any contacts for me. Margaret's family i have traced back to Sixmilebridge area of Co. Clare, the Ryan's arriving here in Melbourne in Shipping Record show:
The name of the ship that they sailed to Australia, Melbourne;The General Hewett in 1856, arriving October the same year.
Any news would be great, I am also going over to Ireland next year to see if I can further my search on the Ryan's which has been proving difficult as the name is vast, at least I now know the area.

Thanks,

Fran
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline lizded

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 17 December 15 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rashind
I am interested in Joseph's son George Fraser Devlin, who passed away in WW1. He was in 5/29th Battn, as was my grandfather James Plumridge Dedman. They sailed on the same ship to Egypt for Overseas Service. I am collecting info about these men as part of my Grandfather's story and hope you might have  a photo you can share of GFD, to include with his dossier.
Am happy to share the information I have with you.
I loved the reminiscences of your family. What a huge blow it must have been re George's tragic death.
I look forward to your reply.
Cheers
Liz
Barber, Temple, Dedman, Plumridge, Pohlner - in Australia and elsewhere.

Offline Lyn warn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 06 March 20 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Replying to an old thread my grandmother is Edith Davis. My mothers sister compiled an extesive history on the Devlins and Davis families that farmed all throughout the Bellarine peninsula. I have a wealth of information of those familie and also the Shelleys that have also been mentioned in your thread. This is the 1st time i have looked at roots Lyn warn daughter of marjory irwin nee davis. Daughter of edith devlin

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 08 March 20 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lyn, Welcome to RootsChat :)

When you reply to a old topic, all the members will have received an email notification.

Fran I am sorry but the email notification to Rob has bounced back saying that his mailbox is full so all emails have now been stopped, it looks like we are currently unable to make contact with him.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk