Author Topic: Any Info On Betambeau?  (Read 18837 times)

Offline johnmarg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any Info On Betambeau?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 August 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
 Hi John 1935.
My info shows Suzanne born 26/3/1737 as daughter of Pierre Betambeau.born
1712,and Marie Catherine Dujardin married 8/2/1735 in Spittalfields.
Suzanne married a Moseley 17/8 /1769 remarried Soloman Macaire 1774.
Contact if you need any more info.

cheers johnmarg

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 August 12 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, and yes could do with your help please.
1. Could you let me know where you managed to get this info from and did Father originate from Vraignes - le - Hornoy, also I suppose I wrongly thought that the signature on Solomon & Susanne's wedding cert was her brother and it seems could have been Father.
2. I found on land tax register for 1760/61 that  there was a Pierre Bettembo living in one house in Brick lane and a Paul living in another- southside Brick lane - could this be a brother do you think, and were they Weavers? I assume that both were dead by 1809 when Susanne needed the French Hospital, as it was Daniel Boitel who helped her.
3. Our - Bete noir is Solomon Macaire - can't find where he comes from or when he went, though it must have been between 1787 ( when he witnessed his son Isaac's wedding and before Susanne died 1809.
4. All info that you can give on Bettembo would help

Sorry to look for so much - but you did ask!!

Best and thanks again

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 August 12 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Just to confirm Johnmarg's info

Susanne Betembo baptised 10 April 1737 Wheeler Street, Spitalfields, born 27 March to Pierre and Marie Catherine Betembo. Godparents Jacques Betembo and Susanne Yon.

I appear to have overlooked that in my initial search for her, I agree looks likely to be your lady.

Regards

Richard

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 August 12 16:09 BST (UK) »
Here are all other records of the family using the same Huguenot chapel at Wheeler Street:

1704 28 May   Jacques Betambo stood as godfather to Jeanne Ferri/Feré  daughter of Abraham & Madeliene Ferri/Feré  (Recorded by the Minister as BETAMBOUR signed his own name as BETANBO)

1706 27 Jan  Judith Betambo stood as godmother to Abraham  Ferri/Feré  son of Abraham & Madeliene Ferri/Feré (Recorded by the minister as BETHENBAUT)

1717 15 Sep Jean Betembo son of Jacques & Judith baptised. Born 3 September. Godparents Jean Bénée & Marie Anne Senecal  (Recorded by the minister as BETHENBOC signed as BETTENBO)

1719 31 May
Jeanne Betembo dau of Jacques & Judith baptised. Born 17 May. Godparents Pierre Ferry & Jeanne Mahieu (Recorded by the minister as BETHENBOE signed as BETENBO)

1721 17 Dec
Jacques Betenbo stood as godfather to Rachel Ferrettes dau of Pierre and Rachel Ferrettes. (Recorded by the minister as BETHEMBOC)

1721 31 Dec Pierre Betembo son of Jacques & Judith baptised. Born 13 Dec. Godparents  Pierre Ferri & Marie André. (Recorded by the minister as BETHEMBOC signed as BETENBO)

1734 2 Sep Pierre Bourdon married to Esther Betambo,  witnesses Jacques Betambo Jr & Sr, Pierre Betambo and Louis Pellet church elder (Recorded by the minister as BETHANBO Witnesses signed as BETENBO/BETANBO)

1735 16 July David Betambo married to Elizabeth Malfuson, witnesses Jacques Betambo & Jacob Malfuson (Recorded by the minister as BETEMBOC Witness signed as BETENBO)

1735 23 Nov Jacques Betembo stood as godfather to Pierre Bourdon, son of Pierre Bourdon & Elizabeth Betambo (Recorded by the minister as BETEMBO Witness signed as BETENBO)

1736 8 February
Pierre Betembo married to Marie Catherine Dujardin, witnesses Jacque Betembo, David Poulain & Pierre Ferry (Recorded by the minister as BETEMBO Groom and witness both signed as BETENBO)

1739 11 April
baptism of Françoise dau of Pierre Betembo and Marie Catherine Dujardin, born 6 April. witnesses Jacques Betambo & Francoise Laine. (Recorded by the minister as BETENBEAU  signed as BETEMBO)

Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 August 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
After all the superlatives used about the Olympic games - all I can say is WOW!!! and thanks very much yet again Richard.

And to site organisers - well done your site is really well organised and very fruitfull.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline johnmarg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 August 12 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi John1935
My info shows Suzanne/Macaire had 2 children.Mary Ann born 16/10/1776
and Peter John born 12/6/1779.You might have that already but thought I should send it just in case.
Most of my early info came from a second cousin ref Betambeau,he started me
off on the history trail so I can't confirm data.But I do know that he went to the
original records office in London and visited several chapels that French
Huguenots used.
Like you I was really pleased to read Richards latest info as it confirmed all the
research my cousin and I Have done. Am researching male line of Betambeau
only so can't help with Macaire.Best wishes.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Johnmarg

Have you any further info on those two children, all new to me. Am into Huguenot library, this week so could find some more

- I am not sure about Peirre as if Richard is right and he was born in 1721, He would only be 15 when he married I know he

was French but don't think that would work.

Best

John

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I had the same thoughts about you on Pierre. A marriage at 15 was virtually unheard of amongst the Huguenots. Generally boys did not become adult members of the congregation until 18-21, and girls around 16-19. On occasion they were slightly younger or older but rarely by a very great deal. Even then it was frequently a good 4-5 years after that they would marry, as a community they rarely rushed into it, and were very much opposed to child marriage.

A Pierre Bettembo was accepted as an adult member of the Huguenot congregation at Threadneedle Street on 27 June 1739 on the testimony of his aunt, age noted as 17. It would be likely this is the Pierre born 1721, and certainly he would not have been married before that point as he would have been considered still a child within the community. I think it was actually likely he was the same Pierre who married Anne Brisset/Breeset on 09 Jul 1746 Saint Dunstan,​Stepney, and had several children with her baptised at Threadneedle Street French Huguenot. 25 was a very typical sort of age for a Huguenot male to marry.

That said I still think it is possible Pierre who married Marie Catherine Dujardin may have been from the same parents.

They had an older Pierre baptised at St Jean, Spitalfields on 28 Sep 1712. I cannot find a burial for him in the East London churches (Huguenot chapels were not able to bury their own dead, so would have used the nearest local Anglican yard). The practise of naming children with identical names is more common in the French community than the English. In English families it rarely occurs unless the first child has died, but in my own Huguenot families alone, my 'Mourgue' family named three sons Etienne, two of which both survived to adulthood, and My 'Picard' family, incredibly named 7 sons Isaac, and 4 daughter Elizabeth, and at least five of the sons and two of daughters reached adulthood! 

It seems confusing, but I imagine within the family they must have been known by individual 'nicknames', or I can't see how it would have worked.  It was traditional for Huguenot children to take the name of their godparent, Pierre Bettembo 1712 was named for his godfather Pierre Ferrettes, and Pierre Bettembo 1721 was named for his godfather Pierre Ferri. If both these men were important to the family, and they wanted to honour them by making them a godparent to a child, the fact there was already a Pierre in the family may have been secondary! This was also the case in my family the Mourgues, the repititon of the name being explained by the parents choice of godparent.

Of course this is speculation but I cannot see any other obvious candidate, and the other facts seem to suggest such scenario.

John if you are visiting the Huguenot Library would it be possible to ask you for a look up on my behalf. Unfortunately I am unwell at the moment, in an out of hospital for various procedures, so not really able to go myself for the foreseeable future. Of course if you are too busy with your own work, I quite understand, please just say, not a problem at all.

Regards

Richards

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Richard

Will try for you next week if you let me know what you are looking for, though as you know anything special has to be ordered two weeks in advance, but a lot of info is also in hands of national archives - so let me know and I will do the best I can -get fit soon

Best

John