Author Topic: Any Info On Betambeau?  (Read 18841 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Any Info On Betambeau?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 August 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi John

What I'm hoping to find is if my ancestor Julien Francois Jacques Bellenger/Bellanger (often just went by 'Francois Bellenger') appears in the records of the Royal Bounty 1750-1770. He may appear in either East London or West London as he lived in one place but was schooled in the other. The index to these records are contained in Quarto Series 51which should make them easy to find. It might also be worth checking for Solomon/Salomon Macaire in those records as he may appear if he was a new refugee also.

Also there is a record of his apprenticeship from the Westminster French Protestant School in June 1764 to Daniel Le Bailley, as a silk weaver, contained in the Huguenot Society Proceedings VOL XXVII NO.4, according to this more info on that can be found in the minutes of the Westminster French Protestant School Directors  (Huguenot Library reference mss WS A 1-8.)

As I say if you do find yourself too involved with your own research when you get there, please don't worry about it, but any help you can offer of course is much appreciated.

Regards

Richard
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline johnmarg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 August 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
John 1935. Ref Pierre Betambeaux2. Clarification.
1.Pierre 1712 m Marie Catherine Dujardin 8/2/1735 Spitalfields
2.Pierre. 1721 m Anne Brisset.9/7/1746.St Dunstans. Stepney.she born 1724.Do'nt know where.
Parents of both Pierre's. Jacques and Judith m.2/6/1700.

regards.johnmarg.       

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 August 12 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarification Johnmarg, below is some more info that you might or might not have, but putting it on for general use anyway.
1. While at Tournai found following marriages.
27/05/1752 Pierre Betembo from Vraignes with Marie Madeleine Malivoir from Fresneville.
04/11/1752 Marie Francoise Betembo from Vraignes with Jean Baptiste Nez from Lempire.

2. While searching the Land Tax books for Bethnal Green 1st and 2nd Div, I found that Peter Betembo was living at 78 Church Street from 1760 to 1763, but by 1772 he had moved to 189 York Street.
    Paul Betembo lived at 127 Brick Lane, and was still in Brick Lane in 1772 but at 141.
3. William Mosely also lived in Brick Lane west No.97 - could this have been Susanne's first husband.

For Richard 1979 - No luck with Francoise Bellanger, but found a Peter, who from 1760 TO 1768 lived at 124/125 St Johns Street - but small problem - he was buried at St Matts in 1767.  Also while I had free use of Ancestor's site at Tower Hamlets I searched but only Francois that turned up was in Quebec.

Best to you both

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 18 August 12 10:18 BST (UK) »
John, thank you for looking anyway, Regards Richard
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 19 August 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Johnmarg

Found Solomon Macaire only twice in Bacon Street, with Jeanne/Jane Boitel, otherwise she is down to pay the land tax, so maybe Solomon has a second address .?
You gave me two children of  Solomon and Susanne Macaire, could you let me know Where they were born ( Church)as this might give me another lead. Note that Susanne would have been 39 and 42 on their births?

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard

Yesterday at N.A. with Huguenot books, but sorry no luck on your man, and not much on my Eusebes or Boitels, either, but at least a slim lead on Solomon, from a family file left with them in 1971.

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 31 August 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
Have found that a Peter Betembo lived in Bethnal green, firstly at 78 Church Street, from 1760, then 1772 To 1787 at York street (now called Whitby Street), then at Anchor Street  in 1788. Could have been our Susanne's brother?

Also a Paul Betembo
who lived in brick lane from 1760, for 27 years, but either changed houses or they were renumbered.

Leaving London for home this weekend - still unable to find further info on Susanne's children.

Best

John

Offline DanteWilhelm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 June 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
3 years later and I have the sudden urge to research my origins once again.

I Googled my surname and of course, due to the (so i thought) lack of interest
this post was on search page 1! However that was to my delight as it meant that I
did not have to look far.

Thank you so much everybody for the responses, I have not read through them all yet, only the first page, this is as much about you as it is I however and I thank you for the learning experience which we have all shared.

So my family comes from Bettembos, a tiny place in France, from the 1100s? As per the last recorded census which I saw (only looked on Wikipedia) there were less than 100 people living there in 2006. I finally know my origins, I finally know who I am. But not why our name was changed, perhaps to distance ourselves from anything related to our Huguenot past?

I do however think that some surnames have originated from people spelling them wrong, what's written being taken for fact, and the name sticking and creating variations (maybe). I also think a lot of surnames were just appointed to people as per their profession, i.e,  workman, drinkwater, breakspear however I could be wrong!

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 June 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
Entrance to Betembo land