Author Topic: Monks/?/Hyland/Lister/Cahill  (Read 12360 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Monks/?/Hyland/Lister/Cahill
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
 - The 1890 Anne was in 37 Mid. Gardiner St. NORTH UNION.  A workhouse?  Her age matches family details.
Would it be possible for someone, kindly, to look at a Thoms Directory of late 1880s for the address of 37 Middle Gardiner Street, please, to see what is recorded. 

Thom's 1879 - 37 Middle Gardiner St
  Michael Monks, Provision Dealer

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
I think the reference to North Union you have for Anne might be the registration district.

Thom's 1885 - 37 Middle Gardiner St
  Mr. Michael J. Monks

Thom's 1894 - 37 Middle Gardiner St
  Mr. James Monks

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
But thanks anyway, even if the mystery seems to deepen.  I cannot quite reconcile the information with what has been passed down to us, so I need to think about it a bit and see if I can make some sense of it.  It may be that in the light of day some clarity may come from it.

But for the moment I don't see any solution.  It may well be that i have to conclude that Anne (Hyland) Monks was buried elswhere.

Thanks again.

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 August 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
Just another thought has come to me regarding Anne Hyland-Monks.

Her husband, Peter Monks is recorded (Glasnevin) as having been buried from 55 Kirwan Street Cottages.  He died in 1884.  It is just possble that there may be some record of Anne living there after his death.  My records show she died in 1890.  That is a fairly narrow window, but I think we are almost at the point where we are doubting the information passed down to us.  Of course I realise that a Directory won't necessarily be of help in finding where she was buried, but confirmation of her existence would be something definite in view of the doubts that are forming.

Could I please ask again if you would have a look at Thoms, Shane.  Sorry for the bother, but I am grasping at straws here.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 August 11 19:04 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately no details of occupants for Kirwin Street  are given in the Thom's 1885 :

Kirwin Street
    off Manor St
    Dublin Artisan's Dwellings Co. Buildings
    1 to 27

16 vacant
    28 to 32 tenements
    33 to 68 tenements

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 04 August 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Shane,

Many thanks for such a speedy response.  I had hoped that this might reveal at least another line to pursue... :(

Perhaps Peter ob. 1884 left a will.  I'll see if I can get to the national Archives when I am in Ireland.

David.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 04 August 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
I dont know how definite your date of death for Anne is... but there's a possible match on the BMD Index in that year :

Name:   Anne Monks
  Registration district:   Dublin North
  Event type:   Death
  Quarter and year:   Jan - Mar 1890
  Volume : 2 / page :   486

might be worth a try to see what the address is..

Shane

See Jan 2012 post :  Monks/White
My Surname Interests

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 30 November 13 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Just came across this thread, I was looking into Patrick Cahill, optician. Here's my info on him: was born Patrick Keary 1853 to Patrick Keary and Mary Anne Butler of Ballybough Road. He was baptised 23 December 1853 in St. Agatha's Parish. 

Patrick Keary could trace his ancestry back to Tomás Baintreabhachd Ó Ciardha of Fore (Co. Meath or Westmeath) who died in 1654. The pedigree is available online from O'Hart's work: http://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigrees1/keary-heremon.php

O'Hart belived that the Kearys were meant to be a branch of the Cahill family of Co. Galway. However, Patrick Keary was also married to Elizabeth, daughter of Patrick Cahill of a well-known Kildare family.

I'm not sure why Patrick Keary changed his name to Cahill, but he died in 1928. He had sons and Cahill's optician on Wellington Quay was sold up in 1951. According to newspaper notices, he really did supply spectacles to several popes over the years.

Would love to hear more if any one has information.

Patrick Keary's son William Keary Cahill seems to have gone over to England where he married and died in the 1950s. There's an entry for William Keary Cahill in the index of wills and admins on ancestry.com, but i don't have access myself.

Offline emz17white

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 08 April 21 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Hope all is well, came across your thread whilst I was looking for information on Patrick Cahill, the Optician.

My family have recently been cleaning out my Nana's home in Dublin and they found a letter to Patrick from the Pope's secretary of state. Please reach out if you'd be interested in getting it.

Cheers
Emma