Author Topic: Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield  (Read 16161 times)

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 July 11 00:49 BST (UK) »
Stu - I can see how Hullot Hall would become Oulet Hall in the parish register and it's not too big a leap from there to Owlet Hall in the census.  I guess in 1841 even a small house could accommodate 6 households, so that one looks promising.

Dobfarm - I saw the Owl Mews at Lascelles Hall but I think it's too far away from Cold Royd and Mill Lane to be the right place.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 July 11 01:12 BST (UK) »
No problem! Looked for anything that could be possible when nothing else is coming up.

Use this link for WYAS search engine

Enter 'Owlet'

http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/advanced.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog

Though nothing is coming up for Kirkheaton/Dalton!"! the are other Owlet places in Yorks! but what is showing up is Hullet/Hullot is also used for these other Owlet place names.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 July 11 09:16 BST (UK) »
You're right Dobfarm.  That could open up a whole new discussion - what does 'Hullot' mean?  It sounds as if it could be French?

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 July 11 10:20 BST (UK) »
There is an Owlet near Shipley Bradford! near a river joining (the river from Bradford that meets the river Air), one at Elland somewhere There is a river meeting there as well -(the one from Greetland meeting the river Calder) Mind you so are a lot of hamlets and abodes!!! but makes me think in them terms for Hulet -Outlet of water etc.

Mention Hall! and we got straight for big family estate Houses, Mill owners houses etc! apart from Village Hall and farms there were some posh impressive looking water house buildings around Yorkshire with Mill. Rail. Dams, Weirs, Water treatment plants. and even victorian building near bridges carring pipes across water.

Maybe cork screw thinking! but any port in a storm!

Dobby
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 July 11 08:16 BST (UK) »
The word Hullet is a French surname.
It is also derived from the french for Owl.
There are a few ways of spelling it.
Having been born a Tyke I know what the sound
of full blown Yorkshire sounds like and the spelling
has changed over the years probably because people
couldnt read or write and the strong accent of passing
a word on.
Hulet, Hullet, Houlet, Howlet, Owlet,

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 July 11 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Rootschat member! Sstar ; gave Kirklees Archive document KC249/6. this give house numbers in the catalogue search of WYAS website! so I think a good peer at this original document may be your best option or only resource proof of Hullet hall (Owlet) location in Dalton.

Great find! really by Starr.

Dobby

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 July 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
George Redmonds also mentions enclosure maps/awards ( not sure which applies in this instance) for a mention of Hullot Hall in 1811. He says that these can be consulted at Huddersfield library.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 July 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
I found a street index for the 1841 census on the National Archives http://www.rootschat.com/links/0e3o/.

From this the census route seems to be

Nettleton
Lee Head
Lees Fold
Mill Lane
Owlet Hall
Coldroyd

I wonder if Mill Lane is now Nettleton road? If so it would suggest that Owlet Hall was near to the bottom of Coldroyd, that is if the enumerator followed a logical path, not always the case I know.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 July 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Stu

From the 1854 map, it looks like Mill Lane is the other end of Crossley Lane to Cold Royd, and is now School Lane, leading past the Church.  I can see Nettleton and Lees Head and Dalton Lee Fold but they are fairly far apart so I wonder if the population was somewhat scattered at that time.

They all look to be areas rather than streets or lanes, so I wonder if Owlet Hall was an area and I need to look a little further afield. 

Sandra