Author Topic: GWYDDELWERN 1841  (Read 3687 times)

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GWYDDELWERN 1841
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 May 06 14:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Tan, for taking the trouble to reply.

Doreen and John Jones from Canada, who have transcribed all the local censuses on Genuki, left a message for someone else researching Williams in Llandderfel in 1851 on the RootsWeb site suggesting that there might be a family connection because of the names.  Whether this is actually true, I can't yet prove, as I need to find baptisms from Llandderfel to check Ellis' parentage.  I haven't found many other Williams in the immediate area.

Edward  and Margaret Williams of Gist Faen are the correct age (60) to be possible parents of Ellis and, as you will see, the family first names, leading to Doreen Jones' suggestion, are the same  The other pointer I have is that, in 1851, there is a Jane Hughes aged 7 with them at Gist Faen, and Hughes comes into my family as well, although there is always the proviso that many names are very common.

In 1851, Ellis Williams (b 1812) was living at Maesod, quite close to Gist Faen, with his wife, Catherine (b 1806  -  nee Edwards) and their family.

At home were Margaret (b 1836), Elizabeth (b 1840), and Reese Edward (aged 10 days).  Two younger children were "farmed out" to relatives  -  Hugh (b 1842) with his uncle Morgan Edwards at Henblas, and Catherine (my G Grandmother (b 1847) with her grandparent, Rees and Anne Edwards at  Llanerch, presumably because of the new baby in the house.  Another daughter, Ann (b 1838), was at Garth Goch as a house servant with her aunt Gwen Grestie (nee Edwards) and husband John.

I'm very keen to find definite Williams parents and siblings linked with Ellis (my G G Grandfather), so it would be fantastic if I could get back further.  I've come to one of those proverbial brick walls.......

Iolanthe
Aberystwyth: Jenkins, Jones, Davies
Merionethshire: Edwards, Roberts, Williams, Davies, Rowland, John
Monmouthshire: Jenkins, Lewis, Evans, Jones, Rees
Glamorgan: Roberts, Lewis
Breconshire: Jenkins, Jones

Offline Bev Tilley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 June 06 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tan
it's been a while since we spoke about the William's but I've found now that my EVAN WILLIAMS was born at LLANDRILLO, MERIONETHSHIRE C1801-3.  So it looks unlikely that we have a connection after all with this family.
Best wishes
Bev

Offline tanwenhaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 November 06 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Iolanthe,

As I now live in Aberystwyth I've started visiting the National Library, I'm off again tomorrow and if possible will look up our Williamses.
I'll let you know how I get on, also below are other reasons which make it even more likely it's the same family.

I found your Ellis on the 1841 census:
Ty'n Llechwedd, llandderfel
Ellis Williams age 30 Farmer
Catherine 30
Margaret  5
Anne  3
Elizabeth  1
Hugh  10
William  15

Also in 1851 at the same address
William Williams age 44  Labourer on the Highway born in Llangwm (which is where my Edward Williams was born in 1791!!)
Gwen 44 born Llanfor
Margaret  7  Scholar  born Llandderfel
Gwen  5  born Llandderfel

Wish me luck!
Tan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 November 06 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tan

You've found the right reference to Ellis Williams in 1841 at Ty'nllechwedd which matches with my information, and the family had moved by 1851 to Maesod, somewhere nearby in Llandderfel.  It's interesting that there is the other Williams living at Ty'nllechwedd in 1851, which I didn't know.  I have all my Merionethshire information on a spreadsheet for each census as far as I have found and I'd be happy to send it to you directly off line, if I have your e mail address.  I have colour co-ordinated where the various families interrelate.  I've only just started working on the family tree again after several months of frustration with the proverbial brick walls.

Iolanthe
Aberystwyth: Jenkins, Jones, Davies
Merionethshire: Edwards, Roberts, Williams, Davies, Rowland, John
Monmouthshire: Jenkins, Lewis, Evans, Jones, Rees
Glamorgan: Roberts, Lewis
Breconshire: Jenkins, Jones