Author Topic: Maes Y Dref, Llanddeiniolen 1861 -  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maes Y Dref, Llanddeiniolen 1861 -
« on: Friday 01 July 11 07:31 BST (UK) »
I'd be grateful if anyone can find details of this place in the 1861 and later censuses , please .
I suspect the family's name might be Foulkes or Williams.
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maes Y Dref, Llanddeiniolen 1861 -
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
I have found the following - spellings as on the transcript

In 1861, Jane Griffiths, farmer age 78 born in Llanberis, is the head with John Foulkes, 19, grandson.

Also
Humphrey Williams, widower, master farmer,   39
Jane Williams 9
William Williams 7
Elinor Williams 5

Geanor Foulkes, farmer's wife, age   30
Robert Foulkes, son, 5
Owen M F Jones, son, 6 Months
Jane Owen, servt, 46

Gaenor Foulkes 40 - farmer, says married but no husband
Robat Foulkes, son,   15
Owen Foulkes, son,   10
Jane Owen, servt, 56

also
Owen Jones, 20
Elizabeth Jones. wife, 19
Maggie A. Jones, 1 month

Regards,
David

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
thank you very much
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 11 21:52 BST (UK) »
Huwcyn

The Maes y Dref in that era was located in the vicinity of a house now called Gerlan (they may have co-existed, I can't remember.) It was one of the oldest houses in what was then the upper reaches of Llanddeiniolen parish before Deiniolen/Ebenezer/Clwtybont came into being properly.

The book 'Traethodau Gwaun Gynfi' (1868) provides a comprehensive list of descendants of William Bellis and Sian Griffith. (P42) They had 9 children. There are other references to the house IIRC. The Hobleys Methodist esp book covering Ysgoldy and the other CyB/Ebenezer Chapels should also have quite a bit. In fact the house was up the lane opposite where Capel Ysgoldy was and is only a field or two away from Celyn where I believe you have connections?
A Chapel and some houses were built on land belonging to Maes y Dref up towards Clwt y Bont. These were also known as Maes y Dref and are more likely to be referred to nowadays than the original Maes y Dref.
It's a bit mindboggling trying to work out the detail the book provides but the way I see it is that the Sian Griffith in the above census was married to 'Sion Ffowc, Penllyn' and she is daughter of Griffith William who was son of William Bellis and Sian Griffith that I refer to. They in turn hailed from Bron Y Fedw, Rhyd Ddu area and work done by Maredudd ap Rheinallt takes their family back many many generations. So, if you descend from Sian Griffith/Sion Ffowc then you can go back at least eight or nine generations with prospects for further back.

Gwil

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
In Old Maps I see that the OS people have mis spelt Gerlan as Gorlan. Census/MIs etc show it's Gerlan.

I may have to review my thoughts about which Maes y Dref the Sian Griffith you enquire about lived at that time. It may very well be the newer one up towards Clwt y Bont. It doesn't detract from the info about the original Maes y Dref though.

Gwil

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
Ceiri Griffith's book seems to have an anomaly re this family (200  vs 208) .
I'd like to presume that Sion Ffowc*/John Foulkes is the son of Foulk Jones , Penllyn . This would make Sion Ffowc a cousin of Ffowc Evan , my ancestor . I've
no primary evidence for this , though .
    The family referred to in 1881 seems to disappear . I think the husband of Gaenor Foulkes was (another ) John  Foulkes, but I cannot find him her, or her two sons after this. be it censuses or burials. I wonder if they emigrated , as some of the Foulkes family went to Wisconsin . The will of John Foulkes* is on-line , and witnessed by William Foulkes (Who would be another brother ) . Another presumed brother whose will is on-line is Ellis Foulkes ( again witnessed by William Foulkes).
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline readingprincipal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 17 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear Huweyn,
I am a relative of the Foulk Family. Sion Flowc is my 5th great grandfather.
My Lineage is:
Sion Flowc 1709-1792 (Catherine Evans 1712-1774)
Foulk Jones 1744-1799 (Jane Morris 1755-1837)
John Foulkes 1785-1856 (Jane Griffith 1783 - 1856) She is the one living with her grandson, John,
     and her widowed son-in-law, William, and his children in the 1881 Welsh census
Jane Foulkes 1815-1896 (Michael Jones 1807-1881) who emigrated to Wisconsin, USA, and then to
     Minnesota, USA in 1845. These were my 2nd great grandparents.

I just discovered the Gaenor Faulkes living at Maes y Dref is really Gaenor Griffiths Jones who was
     the wife of John Foulk Jones, the older brother of Michael Jones above. In the 1900 US Census he
     stated that he immigrated in 1871 and she in 1881 with the two boys. The are all buried in
     Jerusalem Cemetery in Lake Crystal, Blue Earth, Minnesota, USA. John and Gaenor's 1865     
     wedding image and transcription is on Find my Past.

Offline readingprincipal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 17 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Dear Huwcyn,
You mentioned that John Foulkes is on-line and witnessed by William Foulkes. Would you please share where I can find this will?
Thank you.

Offline readingprincipal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 17 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear Huwch,
I just realized that you and I have connected before!! In 2014 you have me information on Robert Michael Jones and other members of my family.

You also corresponded with a man named John Corwin in Australia. He also found me on ancestry and we have been sharing information. He is going to be in San Francisco tomorrow (1/9/17) and I will be meeting him this week. Small world.