Author Topic: Purcells Fields  (Read 29832 times)

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Purcells Fields
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane.

My grandfather's grandmother was Catherine Doyle born around 1833 in Wicklow although I do not know the precise location. She was lilving in Church Terrace by 1898 and in 1901 was letting rooms. This continued through to 1911 as she is in the Bray directory for 1910 and on the census as lodging house keeper. She married a John Mc Loughlin and I'm guessing he died around 1870 something. Neither of these names are on the Griffith's Valuation for Church Terrace but I found Doyles on the valuation. I think she must have been in Bray for a long time but it looks like Loughlin dropped out of the sky though he may have been a railway worker. This is heresay from family sources but no-one is really sure of anything.
The Dillon connection on my father's side would be Nurney or Ballinacarrig and Carlow town itself. On the census for 01 and 11 they live in Pollerton road probably a misspelling of Pellerton ?
Family hearsay thinks that the Dillon ancestor had lands which were confiscated because he refused to pay the taxes for the Church of Ireland levy. The family fortunes then dwindled apparently.
Dublin : King, Burgess, Toole, Martin, Keogh
 Wicklow : Toole, Burgess, , Mc Loughlin, Doyle,  Warren,
Armagh: Reynolds Vallely
Monoghan: Burgess
Keogh. Delgany : Doyle White and possibly McLoughlin
Carlow: Dillon, Delaney
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
I had a look at Griffiths using the place search. It seems to me - and I am no expert at this, that Bray was very  much the Main street with a few houses off it on the Purcell Fields side of Main St, so what they did was simply record those houses as "Houses off Main St" . This was a quick glance, I did not attempt the maps, as I really do not have the skill to sort out that one quickly. It could be done, with a bit of work, to find out who exactly was living where Shane has  located Purcell Fields there in 1854 or thereabouts, but whether that would be of use to you is not clear to me. I have some issues of the Old Bray Journal, so I will have a root to see if there is any relevant mentions of your family. After the Railway came to Bray, it became a Holiday Resort, and many families had lodging houses. I too have ancestors from the other side of Bray Head. I am often in Bray, so if you want a photo of any particular house, just ask.

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
At Catherine Doyle's wedding the witnesses were Anne Byrne and Michael White. 1854
For the marriage of Catherine's daughter in 1898 the witnesses were Timothy Kennedy and Emily O'Neil.
I haven't succeeded in locating the baptisms for Mary Mc Loughlin yet.
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you pastmagic that's very kind of you. I would love a photo of Church Terrace as Purcells Fields has disappeared. I tried locating Purcells Fields on Griffiths Evaluation by using place name search but nothing came up nor did it for Purcells square but I think I will now try Purcells Terrace.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:39 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's grandmother was Catherine Doyle born around 1833 in Wicklow although I do not know the precise location. She was lilving in Church Terrace by 1898 and in 1901 was letting rooms. This continued through to 1911 as she is in the Bray directory for 1910 and on the census as lodging house keeper. She married a John Mc Loughlin and I'm guessing he died around 1870 .......

found some details on the Church Terrace address in various Thom's directories - it looks like Catherine moved to the address some time after 1880...

1891/1894/1904/1914
   4 Church Tce - Mrs McLaughlin

4 Church Tce - Mrs Brown

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
http://bray.stcronans.ie/bray_main_street.html

Here is Church Terrace - next time I'm in Bray I will try and locate those houses Shane mentions.

See you have Sweeney in your tree - I have loads of them in Donegal.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
I have located Church terrace - its not in that photo of Main Street - i know it well, its a small laneway very close to the catholic Church.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 01 July 11 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you pastmagic that's very kind of you. I would love a photo of Church Terrace as Purcells Fields has disappeared. I tried locating Purcells Fields on Griffiths Evaluation by using place name search but nothing came up nor did it for Purcells square but I think I will now try Purcells Terrace.

I dont think the houses at Purcell terrace were built at the time of Griffiths..  see the OSI maps from the 1830s/40s : Bray, Main Street  Select the 6" Historic option to see the right maps.

If you browse through the Griffith page images starting at Bray town you can see all the streets.. including a few groups as 'off Main street'.. that might include the land to the west.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 01 July 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
I am really not sure about the revamping the Holy Redeemer got! It might have been better to build a new church and keep the older one as an example of the architecture of its time. The project is great and it was fun to see Church Terrace today.

I am so unhappy about my Sweeneys as all I have is two brothers Edward and Denis born about 1821+ for the first and 1832 for the second. The father was Joseph. The two brothers went to live in Liverpool in about 1852/3. Edward married in Ireland and had a little boy John born 1852. On the census in England thier birthplace is just given as Ireland so that's not much to go on. When looking on IFHS there are just too many possibilities and I haven't a clue where to begin and it would cost a fortune. The money I have spent looking at irrelevant documents is just shameful! hahahaha.