Author Topic: Lincolnshire Archives  (Read 5248 times)

Offline rkemp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire Archives
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 August 11 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi any Kemp, Campe or Camps out there?
I am looking for any answers about my line. I have a Ralph Kemp 1637-1725, Cripplegate, son of Jeremie Campe or Jeremiah Camp b.1605 Crowle, Lincoln and married Joyce Burton in 1628. His father I believe is Jarman Camp 1573-1616 and married Alis Greenbanke in 1593 Crowle, Lincoln. My Kemp line changes with Ralph who lived in London to Camp or Campe and has become quite challenging. Firstly, is this possible to have spelling changes? Secondly, is it possible to go back any further and find how long the Kemps, Campes or Camps lived in Lincolnshire?

Robert

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire Archives
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 August 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
It is by no means unusual for there to be spelling variations and specific variants, the further back one goes it will happen more often. Shakespeare spelled his own name three different ways in his own will. There was no standard spelling in Britian before the late 18th century with the introduction of the first dictionary, even then it took time to catch on, and it could be argued the process is still ongoing.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)