Author Topic: ann Barnfield/Richard Arrowsmith marriage 1824-Prees,Shropshire.  (Read 3971 times)

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ann Barnfield/Richard Arrowsmith marriage 1824-Prees,Shropshire.
« on: Saturday 02 July 11 15:23 BST (UK) »
I wonder if any one can tell me if a husband in 1824 would or could take his wifes surname.The reason I ask is I am convinced that this has happened in a marriage between an Ann Barnfield and Richard Arrowsmith in 1824 in Prees,Shropshire and I wondered if this could be possible at all.Thank you !COMPLETED!!!!

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ann Barnfield/Richard Arrowsmith marriage 1824-Prees,Shropshire.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hiya
Just a small correction
according to Advanced search on IGI
EXTRACTED Record
4th November 1824 in Prees ,Shropshire - Ann Barnfield married Richard HARROWSMITH .(with an H )
allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 11 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that,I wondered about the H, whether it was a mistake or not?The couple concerned had their first child in 1825 and both were born in Prees.There is a definite link with the Harrowsmiths because a child turns up with that name in 1871 living with the Barnfields.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
Definitely Harrowsmith ....all christened in Prees ,Shropshire...children of Thomas Harrowsmith and Elizabeth
Sarah Appleton Harrowsmith , christened 16th february 1794
Richard Harrowsmith christened 9th march 1796....your connection
Ann Harrowsmith christened 25th January 1801
William Harrowsmith 20th May 1804
Thomas Harrowsmith 9th August 1807
probable maiden name of Elizabeth would be Appleton....as in first borns middle name
I`ll see if I can find the marriage
allan :)
ADDED....sorry...can`t seem to find it
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 July 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
That is really interesting!Ann who is born 1801 in prees could be the Harrowsmith.Do you think there was a mistake on the record and she was a Harrowsmith,not a barnfield which could make sense?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 July 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
No...they are all extracted Parish records from Familysearch Record Pilot...so definitely christened Ann Harrowsmith
So are you saying that Ann Barnfield was born in Prees in 1801 also ?...
allan

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 July 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
6 christenings for Barnfield in Prees from 1724 to 1751....one Anne Barnfield christened 1st April 1751 ...none after 1751.
so now I am a little confused ...where did you get your info that Ann Barnfield was born in Prees ...off the census ??
allan

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 July 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
APOLOGIES...the Sarah Appleton Harrowsmith ...she was illegitimate...mother Mary....no father
allan

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 July 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry,my Richard Barnfield was born in 1790 in Prees,shropshire,his wife was Ann and she was born 1801 in Prees,shropshire.They are somehow related to the Harrowsmiths,I do know that and the only record of a marriage I could find was that of Ann Barnfield marrying a Richard Harrowsmith in Prees in 1824 and nothing else.There first child is born in 1825 and I suppose I thought that this could be the record but I know now I am wrong!!Any help would be appreciated!!