Author Topic: 1841 /1851 census lookup please. Crossgate Cupar Fife  (Read 8766 times)

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 /1851 census lookup please. Crossgate Cupar Fife
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 February 09 21:25 GMT (UK) »
I've not heard of nobby's law - do you perhaps mean Norrie's Law ?  This is a hill near Largo in Fife, where a hoard of Pictish and Roman silver was discovered about 1815-1820.  Some of the silver pieces from the hoard were acquired by a pedlar, who sold them as scrap to Robert Robertson, who is reputed to have melted them down for his own use.

Robertson silver is highly regarded by museums and private collectors.  Some pieces came up at an auction of Scottish Provincial Silver last month (Woolley & Wallis, Salisbury, 27/01/09) - a teaspoon sold for £400 and a toddy ladle for £950.

Margow

Offline pamissearching!!!

• RootsChat Veteran
  • searching..............
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margow, Yes I did mean Norries law. I dont know where I got Nobbys from :o. I found that article while I was surfing and it was mentioned on Time Team when they weredigging around up there ;D Cheers
prince,bolt,mcleod,mckenzie,robertson,southgate, rider,fry, riddle,neale,taylor,newton,blythe,worrall,gunn,skingley,stewart,morrish,morriss,cobb,skull,carey, Miller, ALexander,

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone ... I think you may have LARGO LAW and NORMAN'S LAW mixed up.  As the crow flies they're over 20 miles apart.  Given you're 'talking' Cupar, I'd say it's Norman's Law out on the north side of the County near Newburgh.

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=342500&y=705500&z=120&sv=Largo+Law&st=3&tl=Map+of+Largo+Law,+Fife+[Hill/Mountain]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=330500&y=720500&z=120&sv=Norman's+Law&st=3&tl=Map+of+Norman's+Law,+Fife+[Hill/Mountain]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Use the Zoom Control to the right of the map to get their relationship

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Too many Laws, I'm afraid - that's the trouble with Fife ! 

You are quite right - NORMAN'S LAW is near  Newburgh (OS map ref NO. 305201).  I've been there - right to the top and a fantastic view you get too - I can recommend it.  However, NORRIE'S LAW is another geographical feature altogether (more of a ridge really)  and can be accessed from the road between Ceres and Balcormo (OS map ref NO 410075).  Largo Law  is  a little further south and just to the north of Upper Largo (OS map ref NO 425050).

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Margow