Author Topic: great grandads grave  (Read 2920 times)

Offline madpips

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
great grandads grave
« on: Sunday 03 July 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, We are looking for the grave of our great grandad, Michael Masterson who died in 1911. He was buried in Longton cemetery in Stoke-on-trent. After making a phone call to the bereavement office, i was told i would need to go to Hanley libary to search the records. I found the entry and had it printed out, and it gave the number of grave space (11577). Our problem is how do we know where to look for the grave space, as we have no idea in which section of the cemetery it would be. There is a map at the gates of the cemetery showing all the plots (10 rows of 20 graves in each plot). Do we just have to work out which plot would have grave space 11577, there is never anyone working or around to ask when we go down. He was born in Dublin, and was Roman Catholic but have looked in that section and could not find it. Hope someone might have any ideas of where to go from here. Many thanks in advance. Regards Maxine.
Redman-Kent/Staffs. Hibell- Worcestershire/Herefordshire/Staffs. Ible-Gloucestershire/Herefordshire. Barnes-Staffs. Berrisford-Staffs/Derbyshire. Fowell- Staffs/Cheadle. Salt-Derbyshire/Staffs/Cheadle. Morris- Staffs/Cheadle. Oakley-Staffs. Smallwood-Staffs. Powell-Staffs. Perry-Staffs. Snow-Derbyshire. Leaver-Kent. Seckerson Staffs. Moore-Staffs/Cheshire. Masterson- Staffs/ Liverpool/Ireland. Obrien-Ireland. Davies-Flintshire. Huggins-Gloucestershire. Dixon-Bradley-Howland-Cornelius-Callis/Kent

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: great grandads grave
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 12:56 BST (UK) »
Have you tried googling the cemetery to see if the Graveyard office has a phone number, and then you can ask them where the plot it situated.

Have found in the past that either a quick call or a knock on the office door will get results.

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

I will have a look around for you.  With the grave number it will cut down my hunt

alf