Author Topic: Digital Camera - Recover Photos  (Read 5900 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Camera - Recover Photos
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 July 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
If the shots went about the same time as the battery it does seem a huge coincidence.  My battery and card slots are right next to each other under the flap thing.   For "fiddling fingers" it might have been quite easy to accidentlally flip the card out when putting the battery in.
 ::)
Shame

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 July 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
In an attempt to stop these types of problems from occurring I have recently switched all my photographic work to a smart phone which includes a 5MP camera. Problem solved, if I need a photo particularly I simply email it home.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 July 11 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Ken, He did not take the camera with him. The camera takes 2 AA batteries, he knows which ones to buy, because he has bought them before.

Milly,
Our battery and card slots are the same as yours probably?  It's possible "fiddling fingers", could have flipped the memory card out, without noticing..however we should have found it on the floor of the apartment, we were staying in.
The strange thing is there was nothing wrong with the batteries, because I tried them in the camera yesterday.
Will have to put it down to an unexplained mystery of "the missing memory card".
Redroger,
I'm a senior, I would have no idea how to use a smart phone, I can barely send an SMS message, on one of my daughter's, hand me down old phone.
She sits down every night with her new  phone, doesn't use my PC anymore, so I presume she has a "smart phone", or something like it.

Many thank to you all for your help.

Sarra (old senior) :o

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 July 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
Sarra, Look at my information. I am also a senior aged 71. I do have a slight advantage over some others since my final job was running a computerised rostering section the the railway in the UK, but then again I didn't start with that until I was over 50! Fear of redundancy did concentrate the mind! Taking photos on the smart phone is dead easy. All you do is press a button. Expensive to send them though as I just found out after a recent family wedding.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Victoria Lee

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
  • Believe it: God always helps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 October 11 06:37 BST (UK) »
"Redroger" is reminding me of my experience of 10 years ago who know nothing about technology or software. And you are letting me believe it's true that "impossible is nothing". :)

One more tip to "sarra"'s case, data recovery software is not universial to rescue all your delete or lost items, as there are many factors influencing the results particularly if the data got overwritten. So the first thing you should do is STOP taking more photos with the digital camera and DO NOT write anything back to the camera memery card. Also more digital camera recovery software and guide can be found here,  http://www.digital-camera-recovery.com/

tested and proven. Regards. 

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 October 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
I can see some obvious problems with Redroger's solution.  Firstly at 5MP the resolution is questionable - most cameras are 14MP these days.  When I go on a day trip I take about 20-30 pictures at 2.5MB to 3.5MB each, so sending that lot by email would take forever.

I think we can ignore that theory that someone stole your memory card - if I was a thief I would have taken the whole camera.

If the battery cover does open accidentally then the card could have easily sprung out.  You would have heard the clunk of batteries falling out if it opened downwards but not so if opened either sideways or upwards.

I always keep my camera inside its original plastic bag - except when I take it out to take a photograph.  That way if the battery cover does open, all the contents will be contained within the bag.  It also protects the camera from moisture and getting scratched.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 October 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
Where and when will the resolution of available cameras end? My last camera phone had a resolution of 2mp, and has produced some very nice photos. My current digital camera which I have had around 5 years has a resolution of 5mp and produces to me highly acceptable results, so to avoid carrying too much clutter on a day out I think I have solved the problem with a 5mp Android phone. Plenty for my purposes.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 October 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
I have yet to see a camera from which the mem. card could fall out. They all have push-in type cards, even the cheap ones, you need to give the card a push to spring it out. That's not to say you couldn't have sprung it, but I doubt very much that you wouldn't notice.
I take hundreds of photos (daily) and they download to my computer in seconds. As I said earlier, the camera still has all those photos in it's own memory. Any modern camera would have to be used an aweful lot more than mine is before it's internal memory was full. I can't understand how they can be totally lost. Taken to a good photographic store, the pics should be downloadable from the camera's memory.
I asked about this at our photographic club and everyone agreed.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 October 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Redroger,
I'm a senior, I would have no idea how to use a smart phone, I can barely send an SMS message, on one of my daughter's, hand me down old phone.
She sits down every night with her new  phone, doesn't use my PC anymore, so I presume she has a "smart phone", or something like it.

Many thank to you all for your help.

Sarra (old senior) :o
Sarra, as one "old senior" to another a smart phone is pretty much like a computer, with a screen acceptable for most purposes, but for some sites too small to be seen readily even under magnification. Why not give it a try on your daughter's current phone if she will agree? I can't yet persuade my wife to use my old camera phone.No doubt I will keep trying and fail again! Took years to wean her off a 4 channel TV!