Author Topic: Need to know about a town in Ireland ?  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Need to know about a town in Ireland ?
« on: Saturday 30 April 05 15:27 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D

If anyone ever needs to know about a town in Ireland, I have a copy of

'Townlands and Towns, Parishes and Baronies of Ireland'

;D ;D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NEED TO KNOW BOUT AN TOWN IN IRELAND ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 April 05 17:14 BST (UK) »
Mobo
 could you look for a place called CLENFERHAL in TYrone
according to the 1861 Cumberland census thats the place of birth of my great grandfather
thank you
audrey

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 May 05 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi audrey,

Have never come across that name before. Are you sure its right??

Anyway here is a link that might be useful to you

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tyrone/

Hope you can find what you need to know.

Angela.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 May 05 04:09 BST (UK) »
Mobo
according to the 1861 Cumberland census thats the place of birth of my great grandfather
thank you
audrey

Hei Audrey,

I've tried both IreAtlas and PRONI townlands. Clenferhal does not appear on either site.
It may be Clontyferagh, a 175 acre townland in the Barony of Dungannon Upper. It's in the parish of Kildress and Cookstown PLU. Looking at the word you would think the " ty " would be sounded when spoken as would the " agh ". People from the townlands have a slightly different way of speaking to BBC English. If the word Clontyferagh is spoken fairly quickly an ear uneducated to an accent to that part of Tyrone might hear Clenferhal.

Best Wishes,

Christopher.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 May 05 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi audrey,

Have never come across that name before. Are you sure its right??

Anyway here is a link that might be useful to you

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tyrone/

Hope you can find what you need to know.

Angela.
well it came off the census as a place of birth I new it was wrong as soon as I seen it but I thought I would try and find out about the place  but had a good look myself befor posting and could not find anything  that looked the same I will put that one to bed I think and leave it there
audrey

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 May 05 08:45 BST (UK) »
Mobo
thank you
audrey

Hei Audrey,

I've tried both IreAtlas and PRONI townlands. Clenferhal does not appear on either site.
It may be Clontyferagh, a 175 acre townland in the Barony of Dungannon Upper. It's in the parish of Kildress and Cookstown PLU. Looking at the word you would think the " ty " would be sounded when spoken as would the " agh ". People from the townlands have a slightly different way of speaking to BBC English. If the word Clontyferagh is spoken fairly quickly an ear uneducated to an accent to that part of Tyrone might hear Clenferhal.

Best Wishes,

Christopher.
thanks Chistopher
I am off to Ireland in a few weeks and I can see this being fun I am a Geordie my self although I am not aware of a strong accent I do know people have difficulty with the way we talk up hear  so I hope I am going to be able to have a conversation when I get there
audrey

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 May 05 09:59 BST (UK) »
Audrey,

You are really pushing water uphill with an enumerator in Cumberland trying to understand someone from Co Tyrone, I suspect ; )

Have you looked at:
http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/

There you could look at all the townlands starting with 'C' in Co Tyrone and see what you think (though remember that C' and 'G' also are easily confused).  And you can make other searches on that site.

There's a Townland of Clonfeacle in the Parish of Clonfeacle in Co Tyrone (Barony is Dungannon Middle, PLU is Dungannon) according to the seanruad site.  A possibility?

A Google for Clonfeacle brings up lots of hits.

Good luck,

JAP