Author Topic: Connor/O'Connor Kiltoom/Coole/Castlepollard - COMPLETE  (Read 5996 times)

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
  • Personal history lives on through the generations.
    • View Profile
Connor/O'Connor Kiltoom/Coole/Castlepollard - COMPLETE
« on: Monday 04 July 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
Anyone researching Connor/O'Connor from either Coole parish or Castlepollard parish let me know as I have the parish records on these families for most of the 19th Century.

I am researching the Connor/O'Connor family from Kiltoom.
Connor/O Connor, Kiltoom, Westmeath
Duff, Coolure, Mayne, Co. Westmeath
Clancy, Kane, Endrim & Kilpatrick, Kings County
McKenzie, Dublin and Dundee.

Offline possum88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Connor/O'Connor Kiltoom/Coole/Castlepollard
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 12 01:15 BST (UK) »
I am helping my husband research his Clinton family from Westmeath, and baptism of some Clinton children at Taghmon RC church had Connor family as sponsors.

In trying to establish exactly where this family was, I am wondering if your records have Owen Connor, Bridget Connor or Mary Connor listed Coole or Castlepollard for the period 1840 - 1850?

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry for not getting back sooner.   In Griffiths Valuation, I have come across Clintons who worked on the same Packenham Estate as my family and lived in the worker cottages in Kiltoom.  There were only 24 cottages in the complex and they seemed to be a very close knit group, intermarrying and sponsoring children.  The O'Connor family tended to remain in the immediate area as they were not from there initially so it is possible that the Clintons in Taghmon are closely related to the Clintons in Kiltoom and so asked their O'Connor friends or relations to act as sponsors.  Unfortunately I have no evidence of a direct connection between the two families.  As for the names, I have not seen Owen before but the other two names appear regularly.  I am currently researching this area of the family so if I come across anything else I will contact you.

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 12 12:20 BST (UK) »
Came across this, might be of interest. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Westmeath/Faughalstown/Faughalstown/1776802/

I believe my family were neighbours.

Gerry

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 September 12 00:09 BST (UK) »
I think I may have found the seat of your family.  Too many of them together for it not to be.  I am trying to identify the location of the houses but I suspect they are the workers cottages attached to Coolure House, part of the Pakenham Hall Estate.  For a wonderful understanding of the Pakenham family, read "Tom, Ned and Kitty" by Eliza Pakenham.  ;)

http://askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&PlaceID=982825&county=Westmeath&barony=Fore&parish=<b>Faughalstown</b>&townland=<b>Faughalstown</b>

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 12 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Admin.  I believe this thread can be shut down as it has gone off track and is covered by another post. 
Thanks
Gerry

Offline possum88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Connor/O'Connor Kiltoom/Coole/Castlepollard - COMPLETE
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 September 12 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry being so long replying, hope Admin hasn't shut it down yet.  Thanks for so much information. :) I have only just seen your postings. and I don't know where Kiltoom is, but I am glean it is in Coole. Still learning a  lot about this area.

Do you know if this Griffith Valuation for Clintons are the cottages attached to Coolure House? ??? This would be a most exciting find.
Cheers.

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 September 12 13:07 BST (UK) »
Kiltoom is a townland just south of Castlepollard in County Westmeath. It was part of Faughalstown parish before the mid 1800's and is now part of Mayne Parish.  The parish church is still in the village of Coole. 
The land is/was owned by the Pakenham family since around 1655 and they took on the title of the Earl of Longford on marriage in 1742.  My family worked for the Earl and were allotted one of 23 cottages and some land in Kiltoom which is mid way between the main Pakenham Hall and Lough (Lake) Derravarragh.  In the late 1700's (I believe)  a brother of the Earl, Richard Pakenham,  built Coolure House on the grounds of Pakenham Hall.  He had a full staff there and I have discovered a list of houses which I can only assume are for the staff and their families.  The in-laws of my family lived in these houses as well as the Clintons.  I have yet to determine their exact physical location.
You can always contact me by Private Message, just click on my name on the left.

Gerry

Offline Ed Haynor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on a John Connor/Conner, who supposedly was born in Eastel, Castlepollard, County Westmeath, Ireland in about 1741. I've searched high and low for him, since he's my 4th great grandfather, who immigrated to Ulster County, New York in about 1767. Although I found several pieces of information on Castlepollard, County Westmeath, I've not found any listing for Eastel. Any information on any Connor/Conner families living in County Westmeath during that time period, and/or information on where or what Eastel means, would be much appreciated.