Author Topic: Abingdon Newspapers 1790s  (Read 2333 times)

Offline pikei

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abingdon Newspapers 1790s
« on: Monday 04 July 11 13:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there was a local newspaper that would have reports on the Assizes at Abingdon in 1797? If so, is there a way to get access? I have a descendent who was tried at Abingdon in this year. Thanks.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abingdon Newspapers 1790s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 11 13:37 BST (UK) »
I think the likly newspaper for that period would be "Jackson's Oxford Journal".  It is one of the papers in the british library old news papers project  you can play with the searches here

http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

If you want to read more of the content you have to subscribe - or belong to a library that does.

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pikei

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 11 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debbie, I will check out the website.

Offline KN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
can you give us some details?

KN
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Weaving, Drewe, Lay, Daly, Walker - Berkshire & Oxfordshire
Wood - Worcester, Hampshire, Wiltshire
Stone - Barnwood, Gloucestershire

All census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pikei

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 04:35 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was John Pike. He was tried at the summer Assizes in Abingdon in July 1797 and sentenced to 7 year transportation to Australia. I have a full transcript of his trial. The rumour that I have heard is that he was married at the time of his arrest and left his wife and family in England when he was sent to Sydney. There is no mention of a wife or family in the trial transcripts, so I was hoping that a newspaper article may have been written about his trial (he was a local of Abingdon at the time), which may mention a wife (a slim hope I know, but I am desperate).

I have had a quick look at the Jackson's Oxford Journal online, but the indexes only start from 1800 (3 years too late for me). Are there indexes to the earlier years, but just no online yet?

Offline KN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Pikei

Do you know where John was from?  Perhaps we could find him in the parish records, and then maybe his wife and family too - and then see if they appear in those records after he was transported?

I guess that the Abingdon Assizes covered quite an area?

KN
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Weaving, Drewe, Lay, Daly, Walker - Berkshire & Oxfordshire
Wood - Worcester, Hampshire, Wiltshire
Stone - Barnwood, Gloucestershire

All census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
There are indexes to late C18th Jackson's in the ORO.

The best paper for coverage of the Berkshire Assizes is probably the Reading Mercury - avaialable at Reading Library or BL Colindale.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline pikei

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 01:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys for your replies.

I have searched the PRs for Abingdon and other areas in Berkshire/Oxfordshire without success, in an attempt to find a baptism record for John. I think that John mayn have married Sarah Moss at South Hinksey (as John Pick of Abingdon) and had one daughter Ann Pike. He was living in a house in Turnagain Lane in Abingdon when he was arrested. I have a copy of the Assizes records for his trial in 1797, but no mention of a wife or child. Here in Australia, none of John's records mention anything about his English past except that he was a native of Berkshire. John himself, apparently, would not talk about his life in England, so information is scarce and often misleading. That is why I am getting desperate in seeking a newspaper report on his trial. Unfortunately, living in Australia, with most of John's descendants, it is difficult to search unless indexes etc are online.

A lot of people here in Australia have been searching for John's parents for some time now, so I am trying to "think outside the square" a bit. If you have any other suggestions on ways to find out who John's parents were, I would greatly appreciate then.

Ian Pike