Author Topic: Conway in Llanasa  (Read 2609 times)

Offline AnniElin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Conway in Llanasa
« on: Wednesday 06 July 11 00:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the ancestors of Henry Conway who was born in 1864 in Flintshire and married Ann Jones (from Ffestiniog) in Toxteth Park, Liverpool in 1886.
Henry was born in Llanasa, the son of Robert Conway and (another) Ann Jones (from Eglwysbach). From Robert and Ann's marriage certificate of 1844, Robert's father was David and Ann's father was William. I have found Henry Conway in the 1871 Census living in "Village", Whitford, civil parish: Gwespyr, Ecclesiastical parish: Llanasa. (I'm a bit confused by this as I thought Whitford was a separate parish. I don't know what the difference is between Civil and Ecclesiastical parishes as I thought they were all ecclesiastical by definition.) Anyway, in 1871, Henry is aged 6 and is living with his parents Robert, aged 51, and Ann Conway, aged 47, and older brothers William and Owen Conway. I found Robert Conway aged 20 in the 1841 Census, living with his 60-year old parents David and Elizabeth Conway, plus a sister Ruth, aged 24, in Clomendy, Gronant, Llanasa. I have found the marriage of David Conway and Elizabeth Griffith on Sept 13, 1802 in Llanasa. David and Elizabeth also appear in the 1851 and 1861 censuses, aged 71 and 73 in 1851, and 85 and 86 in 1861. (They were 88 and 91 when they died!) I found a possible birth for David Conway in Llanasa in 1780, where his parents are given as Robert Conway and Mary Edwards. Robert Conway and Mary Edwards were married in Llanasa on May 3rd 1773.
However I have not been able to find a baptism for this Robert. Nor have I been able to find a baptism for Elizabeth Griffith the wife of David Conway, whose birthplace is given as Whitford.
Is anyone else researching these families?
Thanks,

Ann

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Conway in Llanasa
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 00:55 BST (UK) »
Well Ann,you seem to be in about the same boat as I am with my Conway Family.I go back for definite to an Edward (Conway)Jones born in Flint in 1772,the son of a James Conway and a Mary Jones who later married in Flint in 1775.I'm unable to find for certain this James's baptism.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
hi annielin found Henry in 1881 with his mother at carnavon castle llanasa flintshire he is age 16 and farm labourer his mother is widowed and it says Catherine conway born 1881 granddaughter  i have never heard of a carnavon castle in llanasa before it says Catherine born liverpool

Wendy

hughes mills redfern thomas price peirce Evans /luke flintshire and turner rochdale turner/miller salt lake city Utah and miller wintersberg germany/stott rochdale /healey rochdale /dyson flint

Offline welshconway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 12 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in John Conway b.1806 Gronant. His parents are David and Elizabeth Conway of Gronant, there is a brother Henry b.1808 and sister Margaret b.1811.
Could they be the same David Conway and Elizabeth Griffith I wonder?
Conway of Flintshire, Roberts, Lloyd and Goodwin of Cefn Mawr, Forrest of Lancs, Farmer and Ball of Derby.

Offline dcheap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 12 03:08 BST (UK) »
Hi AnniElin
It is a while since you posted but I can tell you that these are definately my ancestors.
This Henry was my great grandfather.

dcheap