Author Topic: COMPLETED Skelley family Douglas IOM  (Read 3222 times)

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Skelley family Douglas IOM
« on: Wednesday 06 July 11 04:22 BST (UK) »
I am new to this and trying to find out anything on the SKelley, Skaelly, skilley
Skelly family.

My great, great, great grandfather William Skelley was convicted of Larceny and transported to Tasmania as a convict.

His records say that in 1824 he was 13 living at home with father Thomas, labourer, protestant.

The name is spelt differently from record to record so i imagine they were illiterate.

A relative told me he was christened at St George 31st March 1811, so I have emailed the church.

Where else would you suggest I look for information?

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Skelley family Douglas IOM
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
no point in emailing church - the parish regs are on mormon film - borrow this at your local FHC
he is on www.manxnotebook.com/famhist/genealgy/transpt.htm but you may have followed up these records
His parents do appear to be Thomas Skeally + Jane Kissack baptised Douglas St Georges  1811-03-31 (parents married Santon 1803-04-23  had 5 ch I can see (eg try www.familysearch.org) - in 1841 Thos + Jane + dau jane living in a multiple occupancy house in Crown Street Douglas - I can't find them in 1851 IoM census nor any obvious burials - thos was 60 + a labourer - I can't see any obvious matches for their bapts but without ages + birth parish not easy
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Skelley family Douglas IOM
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks so Much.
I am in a country town so not near a family search centre and the family search site won't work on my computer (new one ordered), so It'll be a couple of weeks then I'll follow up that
One of his sons has the middle name Kissick.
Funny that the christening was right but they didn't know he was a convict.

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Skelley family Douglas IOM
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Traced the Skelly line 

Offline Fayeeb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Skelley family Douglas IOM
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 23 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm a great great granddaughter of William Skelley also. I live IN NZ.  I have bought a book called 'Never to Return' by Hampton Creer and William is mentioned in the book.. being sent to Australia at age 13 and where he died in NZ.I'd love to hear from you