Author Topic: Baptism Records for Elphin  (Read 5502 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Baptism Records for Elphin
« on: Thursday 07 July 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know how to go about finding baptism records for Elphin?

I am looking for the baptisms of any children of John Gralton and Sarah Farrel(l) who were married in Elphin on 5 March 1810.

I live a long way away from Ireland so visiting offices and churches is not an option.  I can't see anything online.  Is there anyone who could help me with a look up or who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Luzzu  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Records for Elphin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 July 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
which denomination?

what type of source do you have for the marriage ?
Elphin is the name of a Diocese as well as a town and a parish

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 July 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Its from IFHF Roots Ireland. The denomination is Roman Catholic and its a church marriage.  It says Parish/District - Elphin in the County of Roscommon.

5 March 1810
John Gralton of Creeve
Sarah Farrel of Gurthnerange (can't find a place called this)
Witnesses: Unknown Farrell and Brigid Kelly

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 July 11 07:53 BST (UK) »
RC baptism records for the parish of Elphin go back to 1807, and are available in the National Library on microfilms Pos. 4609 and 4610 - along with the marriages. The baptism details also seem to be included in the list of sources included on the RootsIreland/IFHF website - see : Sources

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you.   I will take a look.

Have you heard of a place called Gurthnerange?

Luzzu

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 11 11:32 BST (UK) »
the best place to check for townland names is the database at www.thecore.com/seanruad

I dont see a Gurthnerange in Co. Roscommon - maybe it's a mistranscription or mishearing ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 July 11 11:34 BST (UK) »
suspect it might refer to one of these townlands....

Gortnacrannagh
  Gortnadarra
  Gortnagoyne
  Gortnasharoge 
  Gortnasharvoge

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 July 11 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Shane  :).