Author Topic: cause of death?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
cause of death?
« on: Saturday 30 April 05 20:41 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of a death certificate stating cause of death - general decay, certified. Does anyone know what this means? The cerificate is from 1865 and the place of death as st. marys passage. I presume this would mean he was a destitute.( i hope not as he was my g.g.g. grandfather! ) Can anyone shed any light on this?
 thanks, steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: cause of death?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 April 05 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

My understanding of "general decay" is that the gent concerned died of old age.  Presumably they decided further investigations were not required.

My gt gt grandfather died of general decay at the grand old age of 61.  Mind you, he had had a hard life!

Regarding the address, perhaps if you post his details we can find him in 1861 or 1871 and reassure you!  It may be that the houses were not numbered.  Who reported the death?  If it was a next of kin that should also reassure you that he was not alone in the world.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 05 21:13 BST (UK) »
hi, thanks for such a quick reply. You may be right about your understanding, The birthcertificate gives his age as 64.Unfortunately the person who reported it was not his wife. another reason I presumed he was homeless! I cannot locate him or his wife on the 1841 census, which also led me to believe this. maybe someone can advise me as to how I may be able to find out more from somewhere else.
 once again, thanks
             steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 05 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

If you post his name and that of any members of his family likely to be living with him I will have a look at the 1861 census for you.  That would at least give you anidea of where he was a few years before his death.

Arranroots
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 05 21:46 BST (UK) »
hi again,
    his name is john watson, his wife is rebecca ( no maiden name i'm afraid ) I know of one son, james, b 1831. He married a Martha Hutton in 1855. I have details of these. they were from the st. andrew the less parish of cambridge. The woman who was present at john's death was a sarah hodgson, 18 falcon yard, cambridge.John died at st. marys passage, cambridge. Any info you could find would be of a great help,
thanks once again,
  steve.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 April 05 22:08 BST (UK) »
Rejoice!

Not only was he housed, he was also gainfully employed!

RG9/ 1025 5 91 8

John WATSON H M 60 - Clerk to Sales Man - b London
Jane WATSON W M 60 - Housekeeper - b Staffs, Burslem

Address: 22 (or 29?) St Mary's Passage, Cambridge

Jane's surname is dittoed, but she is also stated as being married.  Maybe he remarried?

Arranroots  ;)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 May 05 10:04 BST (UK) »
General decay ..... A gradual sinking and wasting away of the physical faculties; any wasting disease, esp. pulmonary consumption; as, to die of a decline. --Dunglison. [Webster1913]

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 May 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
thanks for the info arranroots, you've been a great help.
and thank you for the definition, falkyrn

Offline TaniaB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 17:05 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the archaic medical terms website perhaps that may help. Go to:

www.paul_smith.doctors.org.uk/ArchaicMedicalTerms.htm

Tania