Author Topic: Bowen family.  (Read 5213 times)

Offline gerbo21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bowen family.
« on: Friday 08 July 11 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hello all, have been trying to do some research on my family the Bowen,s, and have had some success as in the 1901/11 census and would like to take it a step further but i really don,t know where to go from here. As i said i found an entry for my Grandfather Michael in the 1911 census and also his brother ( i think ) Cornelius in the 1901 census. They were both sailmaker,s. Any tips or pointers of where i should continue to look would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gerbo21.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Bowen family.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 11 18:36 BST (UK) »
I presume this is your Bowen family on the 1911 census :

Bowen household, St Augustine Street, Galway

Have you already worked out the links back to one of the children ?

The first detail to work out is the maiden surname of Catherine - or do you already know this ?

Once you know her maiden (e.g. from a birth cert) you can search for the marriage of Michael and Catherine. A cert for their marriage would bring you another step back in time...

See : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
there's a good possible match for the birth of the youngest son on the BMD Index :

Name: Cornelius Bowen
  Registration district: Galway
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Oct-Dec 1909
  Volume : 4 / Page : 191

See :
   Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
   Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 July 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
A possible marriage for Catherine and Michael from the BMD Index :

Name: Michael Bowen
  Registration district: Galway
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1907
  Volume: 4 / Page: 117

Name:   Catherine Carr
  [same index references as Michael]

If that's the correct Catherine ... a possible match for her with her mother and brother on the 1901 census.

Carr household, Buttermilk Lane, Galway

I haven't found Buttermilk Lane, but see that there's a Buttermilk Walk in Galway just off St. Augustine St beside the church (the street the Michael & Catherine later lived on)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline gerbo21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 11 23:28 BST (UK) »
First of all thank you so much for your reply, and yes one of the children was my father and yes Carr was the maiden name of his wife. Was just wondering, Michael's brother Cornelius who lived on Merchant's Road and was a widower with three children appears on the 1901 but not on the 1911 census. Any ideas why not ? or even his children, this intrigues me. My father died when i was three so i don't have any idea where they ended up. Again thanks for your help. Does BMD index stand for the obvious.

Gerbo21

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 July 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
BMD Index = Birth Marriage Death Index

I havn't found any sign of Cornelius or his children on the 1911 census either, or a probable death for him - maybe they left the country ?

There's is a possible match for his marriage though if that's of any interest :

Name: Cornelius Bowen
  Registration district:   Galway
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: Oct-Dec 1887
  Volume: 4 / Page: 104

A marriage cert would show you his father's name a possibly confirm his connection to Michael.

and a possible birth for his son :

Name: Cornelius John Bowen
  Registration district:   Galway
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Apr-Jun 1888
  Volume: 4 / Page: 218

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline gerbo21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 July 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, just wanted to say thank you for your help in my quest for my family history and hopefully it will open some more doors for me. So i guess the way to go would be to order the marrige certs for Michael and Cornelius and if so, what would i hope to learn from them. Sorry for all the questions but i just find it so interesting, so thanks again for your time and effort it's much appreciated.

Ger.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 July 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
see this link for notes on the details that a marriage cert will show : Details included on a Marriage Cert

The most useful clues for proving connections are usually the father's names and occupations. If the marriage certs show the same father's details for both Michael and Cornelius, then they are definitely brothers.  Other useful clues can the place of residences for the bride and groom and the names of the witnesses.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Fred Rountree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi!---I see your quest re Bowen family in Galway. My grandmother was A bowen from Kenmare Co.Kerry.Our family believed they were descended from the Bowen Family who owned Ballyadams Castle in Queenscounty --Laois whi in turn claim to be descended from Kind Edward 1.  The history of Queenscounty gives an extensive history of the Bowens of Ballyadams and I am almost sure that one branch of the family went to live in Galway. There is therefore a reasonable possibility that you may come from this line. It certainly is worth your while exploring your family history to see can you connect with this interesting heritage.