Author Topic: Sarah Sherwen or Sherwin  (Read 2479 times)

Offline alkari

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Sherwen or Sherwin
« on: Saturday 09 July 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
I have a sampler made by Sarah Sherwen dated 1923 made in her 12th year (ie DOB around 1812).

I believe that she was related to my great-grandmother Fanny-Jane Jeffery (nee Gardiner) of Croft Cottage, Egremont whose parents were John Gardiner and Sarah Wilson (DOB 1845). I think the lady may have been Sarah Wilson's mother based on the birth certificate of the latter (parents John Wilson and Sarah Sherwin) but am having problems tracking her down. There is no address on the birth certificate other than Egremont. John Wilson is listed as a labourer which seems surprising given that the sampler is quite detailed and delicate - an unusual marriage?

In later years (eg Fanny Jane's marriage) the family seem to have been involved in the Wesleyan Chapel in Main Street, Egremont - does this still exist? is there a graveyard or other records?

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Sherwen or Sherwin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 11 14:32 BST (UK) »
Just Google "Wesleyan Chapel, Main Street, Egremont" for information.
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
1851 Census (HO107  2437  351  25)

John Wilson, Carrier, 38 and Sarah, 33 - children Hannah 13, William 12, Peter 11, John 9, Joseph 7 and Sarah 5.

John and Hannah born Beckermont, Sarah born Egremont. Address Church Lane, Egremont

IGI/FamilySearch has the baptism of Sarah Sherwen, 18 June 1817, Gosforth, Cumberland - father Peter and mother Hannah. But this baptismal date, which fits the 1851 Census, doesn't fit the 1812 date linked to the sampler.

Gosforth is just south of Beckermont. Sarah's eldest child is a Hannah. Possibility?

Regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
IGI has the marriage (extracted) of John Wilson to Sarah Sherwen, 17 December 1836, St Nicholas, Whitehaven, Cumberland

regards