Author Topic: Adding names to a Family Bible  (Read 7420 times)

Offline pee wee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adding names to a Family Bible
« on: Saturday 09 July 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
I was wondering the correct way to add more names to a family bible.
My brother has our family bible. It is quite large & has specific pages for Births, Marriages & Deaths. These pages are filled up with the names from only one family including my grandfather & there isn't much room left. I was wanting to update the detail with everyone who came after my grandfather. Do I just write on any old page, make new ones on the computer & just slot them in place or do something else. Also if I find out detail about family members from before the bible was started how do i put them in as well.
Andersen, Pritchard, Forbes, Maslen, Sanders, Tebbutt, Coleman, Riches, Wykes, Healey

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adding names to a Family Bible
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 11 14:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat pee-wee.

You're lucky to have a bible in your family.

To answer your question, I think it depends how much detail you want to add, will it all fit in the remaining space, can you add it neatly and clearly enough to be understood by future generations, and do you feel happy writing in an old book (I'm a neat writer and don't think I'd attempt it at risk of spoiling it or making a mistake)?

If you are able to print out a tree (maybe even including the information from the diary and the other missing side of the family), and just keep the paper inside the bible, that's what I'd do. ALternatively, you can write it out by hand. Of course you can do this on some nicer or better quality paper. I don't know how long the printer inks of today are expected to last - probably not as long as the ink in your bible  ;)).

In the end it's up to what you and your family feel happiest with.

Offline pee wee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adding names to a Family Bible
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 11 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Thanks for your reply. Not having the neatest writing was one thing that was stopping me writing in it before now.  There isn't a lot of space left, though someone in the past has added detail in different pen & not neatly before.  :( Sort of spoilt it as the previous writer had beautiful handwriting.

I like your idea of printing a tree & slippng it in. I had even wondered about scanning the specific pages & deleting out previous entries so I could write in my own. At least then the pages i write on would match at least in design. I have never done that before so it is just a theory I would even be able to manage to do it.  ???
I even have found detail of family from before the bible was started which would be nice to have in it as well.

Thanks again for your ideas. I'll have to hijack the bible of my brother & see what I can come up with.

Cheers
Andersen, Pritchard, Forbes, Maslen, Sanders, Tebbutt, Coleman, Riches, Wykes, Healey