Author Topic: "London Diocese" entry on Boyds Index  (Read 2149 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
"London Diocese" entry on Boyds Index
« on: Saturday 09 July 11 20:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone confirm, since I've had a look about and can't find anything for definate, whether an entry on Boyds with London Diocese as the location refers to a Bishop of London Marriage Licence please?  I've got the impression London Diocese is Bishop of London but the corresponding indexes covering 1714 do not include an entry to the licence and there is no sign of it on available extract sources.  The marriage has two entries on Boyds, one for the actually parish entry and one that says London Diocese.  The parish entry does confirm they married by licence.

I would hope the licence details would survive or they wouldn't have been included on Boyds. ???

Any help appreciated.  I'm desperately trying to confirm in particular who the bride was as there are no obvious entries in the registers on ancestry.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "London Diocese" entry on Boyds Index
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
You don't mention any names at all  :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
If you have the marriage entry in the register, you know the name of the bride.  What other details are you looking for?

I'm confused...........  ???

Nell

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 11 22:47 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping perhaps there is a bondsmen or somebody else mentioned that may shed light on who the bride was (yes I know her name) since there is no sign of a baptism anywhere for her.

If I post the names someone will simply post the information I already have which is a waste of their time.

I just want to confirm whether London Diocese on the Boyds Index means Bishop of London ML because an entry for it does not appear on the indexes on origins or FindMyPast.  If this can be confirmed, I can go down the route of manually looking for the licence as it may well have just not been indexed ;D

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Bishop of London marriage licences are held at the Guildhall Library - not sure what you specifically mean by the 'corresponding indexes covering 1714'. The marriage licence indexes I think are online (as opposed to the index at the Guildhall Library) are

On Findmypast

Faculty Office Marriage Licence Allegations 1701–1850
& Vicar-General Marriage Licence Allegations 1694–1850 

and

on Ancestry

Crisp's London Marriage Licence Index, 1713-1892 (coverage for 1714 seems limited to two and anyway is only an index of 'some original marriage licenses of over a dozen major London parishes')

http://www.ihgs.ac.uk/library/collections_and_indexes.html

Marriage Licences, 1521-1869 (abstracts of marriage licences granted in the Dioceses of London, Westminster and Canterbury from 1521 to 1869)

which supposedly covers
•Bishop of London’s Office (1521-1828)
•Dean and Chapter of Westminster’s Office (1599-1699)
•Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury (1543-1869)
•Vicar General’s Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury (1660-1679)
but is actually a reproduction of this book published in 1887 which states they are extracts of the most pertinent

http://www.archive.org/details/londonmarriageli00fost

London Metropolitan Archives 'London Signatures' which covers the Commissary Court for the Archdeaconry of Surrey

Guildhall Library information leaflet on marriage allegations

http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/marrlic.htm

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 July 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda, still a bit confusing. ::)  The ML I'm after doesn't appear in the Faculty Office or Vicar General Licence indexes on FindMyPast and isn't in the 1887 Book as I have a copy on cdrom.  I think I'll have to email the SOG, of which I am a member, to see if they'll check the extracts they have.  I've checked the catalogue and they do have some for the London Consistory Court which I believe is what they refer to as the London Diocese, whether this is also the Bishop of London MLs I'm not sure.  I'm just hoping it may mention someone other than the bride and groom to give me a clue as to who she was.  I think I've managed to pickup the groom's baptism but am still trying to confirm. ;D

Nicola

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 July 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think what the Society of Genealogists list covering 1714 is the same book already given published by the Harleian Society volume 25.

http://www.sog.org.uk/prc/middlesex.shtml#marriage

though this typescript may have it but it looks to be an index?

'Marriage licences issued by the Bishop of London arranged alphabetically, parts 1-14: 1700-45 [Typescript.] [ML/LON]'

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 July 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Trouble is, it doesn't appear in the book but does appear on Boyds index:

May
Wm
Puzy
Urs
London Diocese
Bishop ML
Source - Boyds 1st Misc Series

I can't find it in the book.  The book is also available on ancestry and it doesn't appear via their search facility either.  Judging by the entries on the page for May (and Hay) just in case it's wrongly transcribed, most are pre 1700

To anyone reading this, please do not post any other details as I already have the marriage entry from the respective church.  I also have details of the family coming forward so do not need any help with this.;D

Nicola

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 July 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
The Diocese of London includes parishes in Essex, Middlesex, part of Hertfordshire and four in Buckinghamshire, as well as the City of London.  Not all of those will be held by LMA.  Perhaps you might need to look further afield for the marriage record itself.

Nell