Author Topic: GEDCOM conversions to V 5.5  (Read 7549 times)

Offline anydm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GEDCOM conversions to V 5.5
« on: Sunday 10 July 11 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm new to the site but would appreciate some help from your experts on gedcom files. I have been researching my f/h for many years but have been 'dormant' for the last few. A lot of my old data was stored on a hard disk in my old computer which I have been able to now retrieve. It was originally saved using 'PersonalRoots' software issued by a company called Expert Software. When I try to now open the file as a gedcom import using Family Tree Maker 2008, I get an error message saying 'GEDCOM File must be version 5.5 or greater'. The original (Personal Roots) software was dated around 1994 so I presume the export utility uses a version of gedcom from around the same era. Is there a way of converting the gedcom export into the later version to allow Family Tree Maker to read it? I hope someone out there can help!! (PS I'm not very computer savy, so dont be afraid to spell it out in words of one syllable!)

Many thanks

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GEDCOM conversions to V 5.5
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 11 10:01 BST (UK) »
Have you tried opening it in PAF, which is free from the FamilySearch site?  You may need to follow the link to the "old site"

[PS sorry, had not noticed this is your first post- wlecome to RootsChat.  Reference for FamilySearch is:www.FamilySearch.org]
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
And, assuming that you can open it in PAF [which you should be able to do] - you can then export it again as a 5.5 ged file by clicking on File - export and than ticking the appropriate box.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
I think too, that it should be possible to instal the data with the Free version of Legacy, the program will then ask if you want to update the file, click Yes and it will do the job automatically. GEDCOM5.5 is the generic version of the program which supposedly will open anything.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline anydm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 11 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thsnks guys for such a prompt response. I have been able to open the file as suggested. A few errors were reported like male wifes etc!! - which I'll have to sort out - but other than that the gedcom 5.5 has imported to Family Tree Maker without a hitch. Thankyou so much for your help. I can now start running with my research once again..

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is all too easy to generate a male wife in most of the programs when entering the information, but soon corrected.. The programs seem to have no way at all of registering same sex partnerships. Perhaps it is something to do with their origins in the US churches?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)