Author Topic: COMPLETED Looking for Job Hawker  (Read 3012 times)

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Looking for Job Hawker
« on: Sunday 10 July 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Job Hawker.

I have also posted this on the Australian board as I don't know if he emigrated there or whether he stayed in England.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,542344.0.html

He was born in 1826 in Bishop's Cleeve, Gloucestershire, England to parents George and Ann (nee Harper).  He was resident in Bishop's Cleeve at the time of the 1841 census with his father and stepmother, Eliza and their children (Job's half siblings)

His brother Solomon and his family, and his sisters Lydia and Esther all emigrated to Victoria, AUS on board the Appleton in 1857. 

EDIT: I'm confusing my Esthers  :-[   Job did have a sister Esther, but the one who travelled to Australia on board the Appleton was his infant niece, Solomon's daughter.

I haven't been able to find him in England after 1841 census nor of him arriving in Australia. 

I'd love to know more of him,

Regards,
Alison    ;D

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Job Hawker
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 September 11 17:17 BST (UK) »
Source: Glos Archives (GA) P46 IN 1/3, St Michael & All Angels, Bishops Cleeve, Baptisms:-
26/06/1825, Job, son, George & Ann HAWKER, a labourer of Southam, bap.
Source: Glos Family History Society (GFHS), St Michael & All Angels, Bishops Cleeve, Marriages:-
George HAWKER m. Ann HARPER @ Bishops Cleeve, 18th May 1812, by banns.
Source: Glos Family History Society (GFHS), St Michael & All Angels, Bishops Cleeve, Baptisms:-
Children of George & Ann HAWKER, a labourer of Southam:-
26/03/1815, David, son
16/02/1817, Solomon Francis, son
09/05/1818, Frances, dau
07/04/1822, Samuel, son
26/06/1825, Job, son
06/07/1828, Hester, dau
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Victor,

You've added to the information I had, and given me a more complete timeframe for Job.  You've also given me information on two children I didn't know existed; David and Frances.

Job certainly is a mystery man  :-\

Cheers,
Alison

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 18:14 BST (UK) »
Is this now completed?
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 12:56 BST (UK) »
Yes it is; I'll modify the title.

thanks for your help,
Alison

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Looking for Job Hawker
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
An update, in case someone googles this man.

On 7/8 October 1844, Job enlisted in the Gloucestershire Regiment (28th) and went to India. When his regiment returned to England in Dec 1847, he along with 21 other soldiers, elected to stay in India, transferring to the 78th Highlanders.

Additional - Job sadly died of wounds on 1st October 1857, during the Siege of Lucknow.

Alison