Author Topic: checking details of baptismal entry  (Read 5182 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: checking details of baptismal entry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 July 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
Cavan genealogy may only have transcripts of the records, so you might be better off talking to the parish first to see what records they hold, to see if you could check the originals.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline cavanlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 July 11 10:28 BST (UK) »
hi Patricia I too had to pay a lot of money when I went back to Cavan .try Latterday Saints website first , then apply direct to registrar in Cavan . there is an office attached to the Hospital. you can find full adress on their website. You can also see Cavan if you go onto you-tube and see the cathedral .

Offline triciar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 July 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I obtained quite a few birth records from Cavan Register Office, is the one you mentioned the same office? It was done over the phone and they were very helpful and sent me copies of my father's and his siblings birth records from the register.I purchased a marriage record from them also but the lady there was quite interested in my family background, and checked her register's and sent me photocopies at no charge, even though i was willing to pay.

Possibly you will not know the answer, but do you have a lot of knowlede on Cavan Town, as I am trying deperately to find out the army regiment my Grandfather was in in 1902, he is shown as a soldier on his marriage record, home address Granard, but he married a Cavan Girl from Abbey Street, Cavan. I wondered if there was a barracks in Cavan Town around that time.

I paid a military researcher but he drew a blank, and could find no record for him, I know he was definately a soldier as he is shown as an army pensioner on both my father's and Aunt's Marriage record.

Sorry for the long message, just thought you may know.
Thanks, Patricia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 July 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
The registry office at Cavan Hospital was mentioned earlier - but it will only be able to provide civil records. I thought you were interested in verifying a baptism record ?

The place to try for a baptism record is the parish ..

I would recommend contacting in writing, or by phone rather than emailing.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline triciar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 July 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane,
The Parish has got back to me via email, they were very helpful and could only trace i baptism entry, they told me the rest of the records sre with Roots,and I would need to speak with them, as I have already paid for a copy of the baptismal records for most of the family, they would not check the original entry unless I paid them 25 euro, which i will ot be doing.

Patricia

Offline cavanlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 August 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia , to answer your first question I was born and bred in Cavan , and in that time the army barracks was always there being used by the regular irish army, it was certainly used in1933/34 as my late father was stationed there .the register office is the same one , in fact the person in charge was a childhood neighbour ! I think perhaps you could look to the irish regular army archives they were based in Dublin . hope this is helpful to you.

Offline triciar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, and thanks very much for the information, I will definately check the army details out.Hopefully I may come up with something.

Regards,
Patricia.