Author Topic: Wales and Ireland to New York...Help.  (Read 1849 times)

Offline koalasa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wales and Ireland to New York...Help.
« on: Sunday 01 May 05 04:02 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I need help please in establishing when and how my great grandparents left the UK and came to New York and then when and how they travelled to Victoria, Australia.

Edward Henry Jones was born in Montgomeryshire, Wales in 1827 [son of Moses Jones]

Annie Jane James was born in Galway?, Ireland in 1827.

They married in the Tabernacle Baptist Church, New York on 6th August 1854.

Edward died in 1891 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

It is these gaps in between that have me wondering.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Koala.
Wales..Jones; Ireland..James; Ekins; Halligan; Love; Hudson; Burmas; England..Bedfordshire..Birdsey; Rowe; Cove; Buckingham..Lovett;  Essex..Barker; Robson; Stock; Harvey; Hampshire..Robson; Wiltshire..Abrey; London..Giles; Hutton; Evans; Australia..Jones; Barker; Robson; Stock; Love; Hutchens; Hammond;

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Wales and Ireland to New York...Help.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 00:59 BST (UK) »
A question.. where is New York?  It is a large state.  Vitals are organized by local government and county.  You have an exact marriage date. What city or town did it take place?  May help find them.

-Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline koalasa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 03:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kristin for your reply.

Edward and Annie JONES were married in the Tabernacle Baptist Church in Manhatten, New York City. USA. The Church Marriage certificate that I have that has been passed down in our family, has the marriage being officated by Rev. Dr. Leythorpe on the 6th August 1854.

We are not too sure whether the wedding ceremony took place at the Church or at the home of Rev. Dr. Leythorpe which was located at 186 East 15th Street, New York City.

I hope this extra information may be of help in finding more about my great grand parents.

with anticipation.
Koala [South Australia]
Wales..Jones; Ireland..James; Ekins; Halligan; Love; Hudson; Burmas; England..Bedfordshire..Birdsey; Rowe; Cove; Buckingham..Lovett;  Essex..Barker; Robson; Stock; Harvey; Hampshire..Robson; Wiltshire..Abrey; London..Giles; Hutton; Evans; Australia..Jones; Barker; Robson; Stock; Love; Hutchens; Hammond;

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 June 05 00:40 BST (UK) »
I checked the 1850 and 1860 census in the hopes i could find your acnestors.  Nothing seems to match.  Also, checked boat records but there are sooooooo many Edward Jones from Wales with a similar birth date that I do not know where to start.

Here is an idea for you to try.

Try to get a copy of the marriage license from NYC archives.  May have some information on the record.  Also, try the birth certificates of any children who were born there.

Here is the link.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/home.shtml

They records office is busy and it is taking me 2.5 months to get a record and I live in New York State.

Here is a quick list of the holdings they have.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/holdings.shtml

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline koalasa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 June 05 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kristin,

Thankyou for trying to find my "Rellies." I have an idea that Edward and Annie Jones may have "fallen through the cracks" in the Census taking. I think that they may have entered the USA after the 1850 Census and were certainly in Australia when their first child was born in 1856.

One thing I did not find out until after I first posted this topic was that Edward Henry Jones was a Ship's steward. It could mean that he would not be listed as he wasn't a passenger.

I will keep on searching. Something must "break" in our search.
Thanks again Kristin.
Live large and enjoy your life.
Koala [South Australia]