Author Topic: Family tree Help  (Read 2007 times)

Offline joesephmartyn

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Always looking out for snippets of information
    • View Profile
Family tree Help
« on: Tuesday 15 June 04 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone

I'm new to all this and would appreciate any help, no matter how small.... ;)

OK first surname on my list is Simenton (No surnames now exist in uk) my nan Annie Witney 1918-2002, born Wandsworth, London (Simenton was the last in the line)  had sisters gladgy (Eaton) Masey(clever) mary (thompson) her dads name was Albert E Simenton, mothers name unkown?? I am now at a loss...

Secondly Henry James Witney 1911 - 1970 born Chinnor, fathers name James William Witney, married to Sarah Elizabeth Croxford, c1884?? The owned a public house in Knowl hill later parts of there lives 1960's called the Queens Head. Can anyone shed any light on James or Sarahs brothers and sisters or even there paretns !!...

Thirdly Betty Hopgood 1909-1979(Oxofrdshire) had three sisters, gladys,  lilian and Alice, brothers name unknown. We have no other family history going back.....can anyone help....

I have tried the different census info available and fear a trip to Kew will be my ne3xt option... If you can help I would be eternally in your debt...

Thank you in advance and wait in anticipation.
Jex, Witney, Croxford, Cook, Hopgood, Montgomery, webb, Brown, Britnell, Boys

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Family tree Help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 04 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi! I always found the first step backwards hardest and only managed it by buying a certificate or two (or actually a few more cos my Mum insisted on "getting the set"!).
I found the birth of an Albert Simenton which could be yours if he married young...
Simenton, Albert Edward 1902 September Births London Surrey 1d 550
If he was born 1902 then that would explain why you can't find him on the 1901 census but he would have been a young father to your nan. It might be best to get his wedding certificate which should have his age on it, then if it is the right birth certificate you could get that and find his parent's names. Your nan's birth certificate should have her mother's maiden name too.
Sorry,  :-\I don't know any free way of getting you started but maybe someone else does? Otherwise it is the same for the other ones, get birth certificates and take it back from there.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 04 20:12 BST (UK) »
The easy (read lucky) way is to get a name that you know should be on 1901 census.  If you don't have that then get the certificate that should take you there, as Gardener said you have the outlay for the cert but that will open the door.

If you can get to London easily then you are sorted, get thee down to the family record office - it's great.  You can search for the cert references in the big books for free then order onsite for £7.

As soon as you have the 1901 families found then you are off.  Looking at your names and dates there are a couple of points you should be aware of.

SIMENTON:  On the IGI you get search results for SYMINGTON, it is a very similar name when dealing with transcribed sources it is worth being flexible with the spelling.  Of the Simentons that are on the IGI some are from Scotland - imagine a Scottish person in London (och aye the noo) with an unusual name?  A census enumerator could have a field day getting that name wrong!!

I think you should do as Gardner says and get your Nan's certificate.  That way you will get mother and father details.

WITNEY:  Another name begging to be misspelled by enumerators or transcribers.  Always try Whitney and Whitny etc...  Looking at the 1901 census there are 63 Witney associated with Chinnor  have a look at them and see if the names are familiar in your family - names travel through the generations.

This is a fantastically addictive hobby and once you get going you'll love it - don't give up.

All the best,
Pam
 ;D

By the way the IGI is at this website if you haven't found it..
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline joesephmartyn

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Always looking out for snippets of information
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 June 04 10:32 BST (UK) »
Boongie PAm and Gardiner

Can I thank you very much for your pointers and have already asked the family to search for my Nans Birth Certificate, Since my nans passing I've always wanted to know about the family history and you always kick yourself for not asking the questions when they are alive, and my nan being nan never spoke about family unless asked (always the way), but I have had some heaway youll be pleased to know on the Witney line, I have just been contacted by my mothers 3rd cousin removed who has history going back to 1738 !!!!!.... so major result there, so just three more lines to go !!!! shouldnt take long ( Joke !!!!!! ) Anyway I appreciate the help so far....

I will be going to Kew tommorrow afternoon to do some investigation into the other lines...... I will let you know what I come up with.
Jex, Witney, Croxford, Cook, Hopgood, Montgomery, webb, Brown, Britnell, Boys

Offline kevan

• RootsChat Senior
  • My beautiful grandmother - Ethel Litlechild
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 June 04 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Send some nmore detail about the Witney family. I have found a James Witney, in 1901, aged 30 married to Jemima. He is born in Chinnor, Oxon ( I am just picking bits from your original post as pointers).
You can contact off list if you want. There are lots of James Witney available for searching.
Best
Kevan
Kevan - Wilding, Littlechild, Beard, Cumbers, Murphy, Wickham, Lagden etc.
Public House info
http://essex1841.com &
http://pubshistory.com
http://historyofstratford.co.uk//